Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Mantle and DirectX12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Microsoft is scheduling a conference on march 20 to talk about the release of Directx12 so i want to know how that will impact dolphin and amd mantle is also coming out you can read about it here. http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolog...antle.aspx

It is supposed to put less hassle on the cpu so i want to know if these 2 things could change dolphin and make it faster and easier to emulate the wii more.
About DX12 we still can´t talk much about it since there are a few "unofficial" details about it. Mantle will do great in recent Radeon HD series due to GCN support (like the Radeon 8000 series), but won´t do very good on older GPUs that don´t support GCN architecture. (Yes, good news for me). Tongue
DJBarry004 Wrote:About DX12 we still can´t talk much about it since there are a few "unofficial" details about it.

By few you must mean none. Microsoft has literally just stated that they will reveal it in the future. Meaning there is no information available about d3d12 at all. As far as mantle goes AMD has disclosed very little useful information about it. This thread is ridiculous. How the hell would the devs know if it's useful if microsoft hasn't even held the press conference to reveal it yet? People should at least wait until then before asking.

DJBarry004 Wrote:Mantle will do great in recent Radeon HD series due to GCN support (like the Radeon 8000 series), but won´t do very good on older GPUs that don´t support GCN architecture. (Yes, good news for me). Tongue

Only GCN GPUs even support mantle.
So far neobrain hasn't given much of a shit about Mantle, so that's likely out of the question unless his opinion changes or someone else implements it.

<pauldachz> IIRC, neobrain later said that he's probably not gonna bother supporting Mantle, so don't bother getting your hopes up about that.
<neobrain> mantle is useless
<pauldachz> ^

D3D12, on the other hand, might actually affect Dolphin, as long as any new features are a) useful to Dolphin and b) easy to shoehorn into the current D3D10/11 backend.
D3D12 will interesting! (maybe =P)

Salu2 - Darkness Knight
Well Mantle is AMD only - yeah NVidia could use it, but that'll never happen - and DirectX12 will most likely be Windows 8+ only... I doubt either will be all that interesting for emulation, and IMO the main focus for Dolphin should continue towards OpenGL.