Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Skies of Arcadia and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance crashes about 5 minutes in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are possibly more games with this issue but I know these two games for sure has this problem. Usually, after crashing the first time and then closing and reopening dolphin and reloading the game solves the problem but it's really annoying that these games crash 5 minutes in everytime. I do not remember having this issue in 4.0 stable and the earlier 4.0 revisions.
Both games work 100% fine on my computer; the only time they crash on me is if my harddrive is in use (yeah, seriously!) and I lag due to that.

Edit: I'm using 4.0-1003; so if it's newer than that, and there's a crash, maybe it's not this. But you didn't list a build here, so, meh, guessing it's that problem.
If you think the problem was introduced somewhere between 4.0 and the latest revisions, do a bisect to find the revision that causes the issue.
Ok I think I know what's causing the issue. The freezes are caused by XFB set to virtual. These particular games require XFB to be disabled to run stable for some reason. Can someone look into this? I usually keep my XFB set to virtual as it gets rid of flickering in some games.
Nah, Virtual XFB sucks ass and causes tons of problems. I totally agree it needs to be fixed up.

I'll make an issue about its various issues eventually. I know it was something that was going to be looked at anyway.
I don't think virtual XFB sucks that much. It helps get rid of flickering in a lot of games. Even the games that have very subtle flickering that you probably don't even realize like MGS TS and RE4. I wish it doesn't cause some games to crash, though, so I can just leave it on and never have to mess with it.
The real solution in MGS Twin Snakes is to use RealXFB, because VirtualXFB, again, sucks. It doesn't even emulate the effects right, though it does stop the flickering. I'm just saying that virtualXFB should be a lot better; to the point where there shouldn't need to be an option for it. I'm in complete agreement with you in that it needs to be fixed, and then, always on without an option.
What effects in MGS TS are you speaking of that isn't emulated right with virtual XFB?
Compare going to the codec screen on RealXFB and Virtual XFB.
Actually, Real XFB is broken in the newer revisions. Running any game with realXFB crashes dolphin. I agree they should just fix up virtual XFB and drop real XFB altogether.
Pages: 1 2