Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Radeon R7 260X Cards and Dolphin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

RetroAddict

Hello,

I was using a GeForce 550ti and it was working great until my card died.
At the moment, I am using a very cheap (30$) AMD Radeon HD 6450 and it does the job at native resolution.

My budget is low at the moment for a video card but I am looking at the AMD R7 260X.

I tried to compare it with the recommended AMD Radeon HD 6850 on gpuboss website but for some functionalities, the HD6850 seem to offers more than the 260X.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260X-v...on-HD-6850

Anyone know what can be achieved with those R7 260X card on Dolphin. Anyone know what resolution can be done on that one ?

Thank you for your help
Uh, no. The R7-260X has more advantages than the HD 6850. Memory speed is higher, better texel rate, and higher core speed; among other mentioned things on the page.

RetroAddict

When I was saying " 6850 Offers More", I was referring to the following;
-More render output processors
-Higher pixel rate
-Wider memory bus

Ain't sure if those ones are important but I would guess if would still do the job.
Anyone can correct me, but in this case when a GPU offers "more" it should be the one that has more advantages against other ones.
There are newer things in OGL that would be faster on the 260x because of it's OGL 4.3 support.

While the 6850 has double the memory bus width, the 260x has 1.6 times the effective memory clock, and is based on a newer, faster architecture, along with being more overclockable (iirc, something so minute that I shouldn't need to look it up, though).

The 260x will also be relevant to the industry for two years longer, making it a slightly more future-proof upgrade at this point.

I'd say get the 260x. The 6850 doesn't offer much over it (other than double the bus width), unless you're playing PC games.
RetroAddict Wrote:When I was saying " 6850 Offers More", I was referring to the following;
-More render output processors
-Higher pixel rate
-Wider memory bus

Ain't sure if those ones are important but I would guess if would still do the job.

None of those things directly impacts performance. A card is faster if it runs applications faster. It doesn't matter which numbers are higher. What matters is the big picture (how those numbers relate to performance). If a chip runs a program faster than another chip then it's the faster chip regardless of specs.

The memory bus width for example factors into memory bandwidth by memory bandwidth = (memory bus width x memory data rate)/8. Memory bandwidth along with texel fill rate, primitive fill rate, tessellation fill rate, pixel fill rate, shader throughput, cache performance, ALU IPC, etc. all effect performance.

kinkinkijkin Wrote:There are newer things in OGL that would be faster on the 260x because of it's OGL 4.3 support.

Both of those cards support OGL 4.3. All AMD cards 5000 series and up support it.