Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenMP Slowing Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With OpenCL, I got 60fps in NSMBW with ebf > ram on.

With OpenMP, I get 22fps in NSMBW with ebf > ram on.

In the versions with OpenMP, turning off OpenMP gets me 45-55fps in NSMBW with ebf > ram on.

Is the OpenMP option broken or something?

Geforce GTX 780M
i7-4930MX
If you don't know how these options work and what they do, it is generally advised not to use them.
(03-02-2014, 01:48 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't know how these options work and what they do, it is generally advised not to use them.

The descriptions are in the emu when you hover over the option.

(03-02-2014, 01:48 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't know how these options work and what they do, it is generally advised not to use them.

So is this sarcasm or trying to be snoody? First half of sentence seems like trying to be insulting, second half maybe doesn't? Is that a yes to my question or no? And if you think I'm misunderstanding something, what is it?
It's well known that OpenMP can potentially be a massive performance drag. It has a glitch in some games where the OpenMP thread will max out a CPU core and drag everything way down with it. It's why OpenMP is no longer recommended carte blanche on the Performance Guide. You may be encountering this. Try some other games and see if they all do it.

shinra358's profile Wrote:Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin-Git-3.5-124-x64

God I hope that's wrong. If you are using that, UPDATE.
(03-02-2014, 02:09 AM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]

The descriptions are in the emu when you hover over the option.

So is this sarcasm or trying to be snoody? First half of sentence seems like trying to be insulting, second half maybe doesn't? Is that a yes to my question or no? And if you think I'm misunderstanding something, what is it?

I was being serious (for the reason pointed out by MaJoR). Also note that the description in the emu says "Might result in a speedup" (not "Will result in a speedup") and that it recommends leaving off the option if you're unsure. That sort of implies what I said, i.e. if you don't know better you shouldn't touch the checkbox.
OpenMP has been broken in OpenGL for quite a while on top of this.
(03-02-2014, 02:20 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]It's well known that OpenMP can potentially be a massive performance drag. It has a glitch in some games where the OpenMP thread will max out a CPU core and drag everything way down with it. It's why OpenMP is no longer recommended carte blanche on the Performance Guide. You may be encountering this. Try some other games and see if they all do it.

shinra358's profile Wrote:Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin-Git-3.5-124-x64

God I hope that's wrong. If you are using that, UPDATE.

My bad, quoted the wrong one. Had the one from today on mind.

(03-02-2014, 06:54 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]OpenMP has been broken in OpenGL for quite a while on top of this.

Thanks for answering my question.
(03-02-2014, 06:54 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]OpenMP has been broken in OpenGL for quite a while on top of this.

Uh, no? Our OpenMP support has nothing to do with video backend, it's all in the x64 texture decoder code.