Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: upgrade CPU to play Mario Galaxy and DKCR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi, first, sorry for my bad english, i hope you can understand me Smile

My Specs:

Asrock Z68 Pro3
i5-2400@stock clock
GTX 570
8 GB RAM

When i play Mario Galaxy (last stable of Dolphin) with LLE (because sound issue with HLE) the framerate drops to 40-50 fps, when the Castle explode in the beginning and the Sound stutters. In Donkey Kong Country Returns also.

I think changing CPU is the best way for me.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?ca...Z68%20Pro3

This is a Link to the supported CPUs for my Motherboard.

Is there a CPU that can solve my problem or do i have to update my Board too?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english Blush
Your CPU is the bottleneck here. Upgrading it is the best choice
Well, that page says that you can go up to an i5-3570k, which would be the best choice for your motherboard. Then overclock it.
Sell that mobo . Buy MSI Z87 G45 (or G41 if you're on low budget) and i5 4670k
i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz outperforms i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz in Dolphin . So don't bother with i5 3570k , it isn't worth it.
Big thanks to both!

In the evening i can test it on a i5-4670 with GTX 760, then i will decide.
(03-02-2014, 01:37 AM)Kosake Wrote: [ -> ]Big thanks to both!

In the evening i can test it on a i5-4670 with GTX 760, then i will decide.

DonĀ“t forget to look for the K ending on the model. Good luck!
MSI's got a bad habit of using cheap transistors as of late. I'd stay away from them if you ever plan to have a more powerful CPU on the motherboard. Powerful in the literal sense, that is. Things heat up really easily, and MSI puts the same weak thermal solution on them as all of the other guys, not really realizing that they're not exactly making a safe motherboard in doing so.
The Z87 G45 is fine, I have the same board.

They don't even use cheap transistors though, where did you pick that up? Just because it's analog does not mean it's cheap.
Might just be a habit with all of their AMD boards, then.

Nevermind.
MSI has changed recently , their boards (Haswell only) are good stuffs . I used to recommend Asrock boards (Z68 , Z77) until they have bios accident (Asrock Z87 Bios error though it's fixed by doing a bios update)
Edit : it seems the Z87 G41 doesn't get good rating like before . Z87 G45 or Z87 G43 then
kinkinkijkin Wrote:Things heat up really easily, and MSI puts the same weak thermal solution on them as all of the other guys, not really realizing that they're not exactly making a safe motherboard in doing so.

What thermal solution? The VRM is on the cpu die now and the mosfets don't have heatsinks any more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4