Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Linux] No ISOs play using JIT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

nplez1

I am trying to get Dolphin running and I don't seem to be able to actually get any games to load using the JIT Recompiler. If I switch to using the Interpreter, the games launch and everything seems to be working, just only at about 5-6FPS. I have left all of the other settings at the default values.

I am running on Ubuntu 12.10 and I installed Dolphin 4.0 from the glennric PPA. When I launch any game ISO (using the JIT), I just get a blank screen with a fluctuating VPS and an FPS of 0. I'm not having any issues with other games and emulators, and I believe my hardware should be plenty strong enough to run Dolphin.

My specs are as follows:

i3 3225 (3.3GHz)
8GB DDR3-1600
ATI Radeon R7 250 (2GB)
Catalyst Vid Drivers (Proprietary, latest stable version)

What am I doing wrong? Is there some known issue with running on Linux with the latest version? Is the binary from the PPA broken?
Try following the Linux build guide to get the latest version.
https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Linux_Build
Dolphin has Ubuntu builds available on the main site as well.

nplez1

Alright. I was thinking that building from source may be the best way to go, I just thought the PPA build would be functional at some level.

I'll give it a try this evening and report back.
I thought the prebuilt only supported Ubuntu 13.04?
(02-28-2014, 02:18 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the prebuilt only supported Ubuntu 13.04?

As long as you have the versions of the libraries/dependencies that the actual binary file requires, nothing stops you from using running it on 12.10.
(02-28-2014, 03:05 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]As long as you have the versions of the libraries/dependencies that the actual binary file requires, nothing stops you from using running it on 12.10.

Except for it requiring libpango-1.18 in current development builds. I tried everything but didn't manage to install a newer version of libpango in Ubuntu 12.10 Undecided
Install pango from source. Or give up on Debian based systems altogether like I did :p

nplez1

What distro are you using/recommend? In my experience, they are all using the linux kernel, so you should be able to do about the same thing regardless of the distro your using, right? Are you just saying that some distros make it easier because of the package that are included and how the kernel is compiled?
(02-28-2014, 06:50 AM)nplez1 Wrote: [ -> ]In my experience, they are all using the linux kernel, so you should be able to do about the same thing regardless of the distro your using, right?

That's kind of simplifying things too much. If having a similar kernel were all it took, getting Dolphin to run on Android devices would have been a trivial non-issue, but obviously that hasn't been the case. While every Linux distro has similar kernels, they all vary in terms of what software they pack together and how they do so, what patches they apply and where, and even how they decide how to use basic but common components like /etc. The things Fedora does say when managing a file like fstab might not be the same as Ubuntu or Gentoo or Arch or any number of distros. That's the choice Linux represents; there's no one "way" to build a distro. Some don't add a lot of extra functionality via scripts or change a lot of settings in the Linux system file tree; others make heavy modifications to just about everything, from package management, to firewall setup, to disk partitioning, and a lot more.

tl;dr, yes one distro can do what others do more or less, but each distro has nuances that have to be taken into account. That's why distros exist though, because people have nuances and preferences themselves.

I am and forever will be heavily biased towards Slackware as my distro of choice. I used Kubuntu and Mint in the past, but I like Slackware's approach. It doesn't make a great deal of assumptions regarding how I use my computer unlike other OSes and programs (*cough*Unity*cough*). I also really like it's package management system; it's compiling from source, but it gives me a package that can be removed or reinstalled easily. Having dealt with Debian based systems for years, I'm kinda turned off from their package management system. Compiling from source takes longer, but I've run into far less dependency issues on Slackware than on Ubuntu.

Quote: Are you just saying that some distros make it easier because of the package that are included and how the kernel is compiled?

I'm saying some distros are easier for some people to handle than others based on their differences and what people need from an OS. Debian based systems are something I won't touch for daily use because I really dislike how they manage software. Depending on your knowledge and familiarity with Linux, some distros will seem to "fight" you more than others (especially if you don't understand how one distro does things). In my case, Slackware fights me the least and does all that I need. I have a tendency to poke fun at Debian based distros whenever I can though.