Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What hardware component is affecting gameplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

NeonEmerald

About a year ago I had built a brand new PC, which was built mostly for everyday use and as a mid-range gaming PC.

Looking through old files I came across Dolphin again, so I went ahead and installed it expecting games to run better then what it did on my last PC. One game that gave me stable speed was Super Smash Bros. Melee, but I was restricted to playing the game with no visual enhancement enabled (ie internal resolution).

Even while playing I was also restricted to playing matches with only 2 characters. If I were to choose more than 2 characters then the FPS would go down to about 45 - 50.

I attached pics of my CPU, GPU, and RAM with CPU-Z to see if that'll help identify the cause. I've also listed the components in my profile if the pics are no help.

Sorry for the semi-long read. I'd just like to be able to play any game without a loss of FPS.

Thanks again folks!
Your GPU is good to go . Your CPU is not so bad for multi-threaded application , it's just bad for Dolphin and some other dual core app like SCII due to horrible single threaded performance !
Multiplayer in Dolphin also requires higher CPU performance
To run most games full speed , you need at least an i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz . See our Dolphin Benchmark here
To get more speed for free : overclock your CPU

NeonEmerald

(02-23-2014, 04:59 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU is good to go . Your CPU is not so bad for multi-threaded application , it's just bad for Dolphin and some other dual core app like SCII due to horrible single threaded performance !
Multiplayer in Dolphin also requires higher CPU performance
To run most games full speed , you need at least an i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz . See our Dolphin Benchmark here
To get more speed for free : overclock your CPU

Gonna have to look into overclocking the CPU. I've never done something like this and don't want my PC to explode on me.

Thanks for the reply sir!
More than likely it's just the GPU underclocking itself – there's no reason for a 7770 to be limited to 1x IR. Try finagling your driver settings. For Nvidia cards, you change Dolphin's profile to prefer the high-performance GPU and change the power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" so that it stays at max clockspeed – if there's any similar thing you can do in Catalyst, do it.

If this doesn't help the more-than-two-players slowdown, overclocking the CPU will fix that.