Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slowdowns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay. I know there are hundreds of threads about this, but I am going to try anyway. I have been using Dolpin since 3.0 I believe. Never really used it much cause it is rather slow. Metroid Prime mainly.

I can play Resident Evil at 30/60 VPS with a slowdown in 2 areas in the game. I used to be able to run Metroid prime at 60 FPS with LLE on quick mode. I know it messes up the sound but I can deal with sound issues to play my games.

I doubt my GPU is my bottleneck since it is a Geforce 760 OC. I know AMD is crap for emulation but I am stuck with what I have. Should I just OC my CPU to 4.7 to play games or not? I play PCSX2 without any problems besides SoTC. Which like 3 people can run anyway. I know this isn't PCSX2 but I am just giving a comparison of consoles I can emulate without much issues.

Basically my configs are set to default everything besides 2x native res and frame limiter on since some areas in games runs at like 120 FPS.

EDIT: I thought it would post the specs. Sorry about that

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0- OC'd to 4.4
RAM: Corsair 16GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 760 OC'd
HDD: 1 TB 7200 rpm drive
Well, one thing that may help is that you don't need LLE for Metroid Prime's audio in newer builds, and OpenGL/D3D have gotten a lot faster recently. I don't know what else to say about it other than the fact that you've picked one of the harder games to emulate in Metroid Prime. It's one of the few games I don't really bother with much in Dolphin not because I can't run it full speed, but because it tends to be choppy even when running full speed due to the way new areas are loaded.
Thank you for the quick reply. I just brought up that game actually and I didn't know they fixed the audio issues with Metroid Prime. Thank you for the info on that. I am mainly trying to run my Zelda: Twilight Princess game GC edition, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime 2 GC edition Resident Evil 0 and Muramasa I found at a Gamestop for like 5 dollars. I know Muramasa is Wii but I am only getting like 35 FPS in that game.
That's strange . Muramasa is light-weight game . I'm running it and encoding video at the same time on my laptop , I still get full speed 60 FPS all the time !
Try to set your Framelimit option = 60FPS
I kind of thought Muramasa is a lightweight game. I just wonder if I have some setting my dolphin that is making my computer go full retard. Considering besides 360 and ps3 I can run just about any emulation at 100% besides the few games that are nearly impossible to run at full speed. It is jsut Dolphin that runs slow. So I have narrowed it down to A.) My computer jsut doesn't like it, B.) I have a setting that just drags. or C.) Both.
Tales of Symphonia shouldn't be a problem. Metroid Prime 2; the same comments as Metroid Prime go for that, if not a little harder. Resident Evil 0 wasn't a problem for me.

Twilight Princess is difficult on any computer due to how it handles some graphical features. I'm going to tell you right now that getting it to play full speed may not be possible in Hyrule Field.
I know about the Hyrule Field problems. Just it goes at like 55% in the intro scene with Link and His dad? scene. I didn't get farther then that. I haven't played this on my console since it was new. Just I wanted to use the HD textures but no point if I can't even get the vanilla game to work.
You may be in a build with broken BufferStorage, update to the latest builds and it should run a lot better than that.

After the Vertex Streaming HAck was removed, a few builds did not have NVIDIA cards detected properly, which made it so that they used a really slow buffer streaming method was used, and Twilight Princess was by far the worst of all the games affected.
I have downloaded the latest revision. I screwed around with settings for about 30 minutes and I managed to get twilight princess to run rather well. I thank all the responses I received. Didn't know there was a bufferstorage issue. That would explain why the older revisions I was using worked better.
Seems like no matter the game I want to play they are always the most annoying to emulate. Zelda, SoTC, Xenosaga and the list goes on.
Well, I hope that you continue to have luck in using the latest versions! I do believe that Dolphin 4.0 will be a bit faster (with Vertex Streaming Hack enabled) than latest because it had the Zelda Twilight Princess Hack which made things a lot faster.

The other games will probably all be faster in the latest builds.
Pages: 1 2