Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD or Intel CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys I'm having second thoughts about getting the Intel i7 4820k. Although this cpu shpuld be more than enough for gaming, I was wondering if an AMD would be the better buy for gaming like maybe the FX-8350?

Anyways, in general as well, which of the two would you prefer in a gaming pc?
Neither of them would be ideal for Dolphin . Just get the i5 4670k + MSI Z87 G45 and then overclock
Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core application , an i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz destroys FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz in Dolphin Benchmark
Why ? AMD FX 8350 has 8 cores but low performance per core (low single threaded performance)
Dolphin dislike list : SLI , Crossfire , CPU with multi core + low single threaded perfromance (4 cores+) or Hyperthreading , Dual GPU , Dual CPU (Xeon)
i7 4770k is not faster than i5 4670k in Dolphin but if you need extra threads for video rendering/encoding , i7 will a better choice
I would like to do alot of video rendering. I guess if the i7 is my way to go, is there an AMD cpu that can be on par with i7 in video rendering and if so, which of the two would favor Dolphin better?
Nope. the i7 is much faster than the FX8350 in Dolphin and Video rendering
How would the FX-9590 compare with an i7 4820k in video rendering and in Dolphin?
the same as the FX8350. Get the i7 4770k and save energy, money and environment lol

i7 4820k is SLOWER than i7 4770k for Dolphin though. the i7 4820k is based on Ivy Bridge Architecture while the i7 4770k is Haswell.
So would the i7 4770k be the best for Dolphin within the i7 cpus? I see it is within the Dolphin Benchmark list but the i7 4820k isn't. Sorry for having second thoughts. Edit: Proof is in the pudding.

On another note, basically the Intel cpus dominate the AMDs by a landslide. Exaggeration?
(02-20-2014, 07:35 AM)Amario130 Wrote: [ -> ]So would the i7 4770k be the best for Dolphin within the i7 cpus? I see it is within the Dolphin Benchmark list but the i7 4820k isn't. Sorry for having second thoughts. Edit: Proof is in the pudding.

On another note, basically the Intel cpus dominate the AMDs by a landslide. Exaggeration?

1. Yep, especially overclocked on a z87 Board.
2. Nope, that's actually true in terms of single core performance.
(02-20-2014, 07:35 AM)Amario130 Wrote: [ -> ]So would the i7 4770k be the best for Dolphin within the i7 cpus? I see it is within the Dolphin Benchmark list but the i7 4820k isn't. Sorry for having second thoughts

I would imagine that the 4770K best for Dolphin. It has a higher IPC than all of the Ivy Bridge-E CPUs.

And yes, generally Intel dominates AMD in terms of Dolphin.
The Haswell chips (4770k) are 4th generation and the Ivy Bridges (4820k) are 3rd so I guess it makes sense that the 4770k is better but it gets me thinking why would the 4820k be of a higher number? Is it the release date?

Sorry guys I'm a noob at this. Any tips would be great.
Pages: 1 2