Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Starting a youtube channel for game settings and gameplays to help others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone! on this forums i did find a lot of help for playing Dolphin Smoothly and beautifuly, and i spent hours researsching for settings and tweaks...

Also surfing the internet looking for videos that include the best settings or some useful settings for some specific game, watching tons of videos where games looked sweet, but where settings weren't listed.

So after getting many games configured and ready, with some being harder than others, i'll like to share this with everyone here, and around the internet, so i decided to start uploading videos with the settings and some gameplay, listing all issues i had while playing them and even uploading my own settings, with notes on how to tweak them to run the game smooth on slower PCs than mine.

I will try to upload most videos on 1080HD and running them with the highest settings i can pull while they still run smooth.

Here's my YouTube channel so you can follow my uploads : https://www.youtube.com/user/ShigmaGaming

I will also post every upload on a dedicated twitter @ShigmaGaming

I will start uploading videos of all the games i played and already have, but i'm willing to upload videos of other asked games too.
I'm making this so it works as a guide for others and with the hope of being useful to others who like me, someday were lost on this matter.

I will always attach all the info relative to dolphin on my videos, like download page, wiki and whatever is needed.

I started today uploading a video of Resident Evil Archives : Resident Evil (Wii) at 60 fps on 1080HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4AQGJfY0EQ

PD : If something here is against the forum rules , i am really sorry, i am just trying to help with this, if something is wrong here tell me and i will change it ASAP. Really hope you understand this and find this useful. Thank you.
Hey this is a great idea, very helpful as to saves time scouring around looking for game specific settings and I can just always refer back here or the channel for it. Thanks!
To be honest, the settings you use are horrible. If any new users are watching this and thinking "oh great, something I can give my friends so that they can setup Dolphin": Please don't. Refer to our guides if you need to figure out something. They provide actual good settings.

@ OP: Please don't take this post as a personal insult; however, the settings you provide are just crap and Youtube already has more than enough "howto Dolphin" guides with crappy suggestions. I'd like to avoid the word "crap", but usually the settings used in many such videos are not only useless but potentially even harmful, so that word just describes what it is. Efforts to help newcomers handle Dolphin are well appreciated, but if you don't actually know your way around Dolphin well enough to create such videos, please don't.

Or, you know, at least take the criticism and put some thought into how to improve your future uploads Wink
(02-19-2014, 09:39 PM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, the settings you use are horrible. If any new users are watching this and thinking "oh great, something I can give my friends so that they can setup Dolphin": Please don't. Refer to our guides if you need to figure out something. They provide actual good settings.

@ OP: Please don't take this post as a personal insult; however, the settings you provide are just crap and Youtube already has more than enough "howto Dolphin" guides with crappy suggestions. I'd like to avoid the word "crap", but usually the settings used in many such videos are not only useless but potentially even harmful, so that word just describes what it is. Efforts to help newcomers handle Dolphin are well appreciated, but if you don't actually know your way around Dolphin well enough to create such videos, please don't.

Or, you know, at least take the criticism and put some thought into how to improve your future uploads Wink

Well i indeed posted this here because I DO WANT criticism and feedback, i want to improve this, i need insight and as i said i'm doing this willing to be something helpful.

But there is a difference between constructive criticism and this. What you did, i literrally throwing "crap" , as you said, on me. You said all that, but u didn't even say what's wrong, what needs to be improved.

If you want to be critic with my iniciative, at least take time on exposing here what is wrong, why it is so terrible, because as you can see, i don't know it. I never said "Here's my stuff my way and you have to take it thru your throat just like this".

And i repeat, i want you guys to be critic here. I'm willing to improve this. I just ulploaded one video, because when my friends come to play at my place, they say "wow, your dolphin settings look good and the game is fully playable and smooth, how you do that? Tell me your settings", and after that they started playing games on Dolphin with less trouble and said it was something really nice, and we talked about this iniciative and they thought it would be really handy.

Also, don't forget this, I AM NOT ENGLISH, i do understand english and i can manage on this forums, but not everyone here at my country can, and i want this to be something that can be accesible for everyone despite their language, and the way i am willing to do this, is regarding this issue and making it clear and as simple as possible in a single video, where everyone can understand it and pull some solid emulation, while not looking for something perfect.

I never said i am a genius here or that i was an expert. If something is wrong and you notice it, and you are willing to post feedback here, do it this way:

Tell me what things are wrong, how i could improve them or where i have failed. But if you just come here, say three times how crappy and terrible this is, well, you spent the same time writing that, i have learnt nothing, and the way you said it... well the only thing that can be pulled from that u wrote is you may end only making me feel bad, and that's not the point here.

I'm open to critic, tips and improvements. If something is wrong here, the best thing that could happen to me is someone comes over poiting it, but also throwing in some insight, it ends on a win/win situation.

I never said your work on this forums isn't regarded or because there are some threads about each game this shouldn't be done. In fact if it ends working i could post the videos on those threads and be useful. I'm also using my time on this and with the sole purpose of making something useful.

In fact, even if my "terrible settings" are this bad, most of it was pulled and with the help of comments on this forums (And it is since then when my games started to run smoothly while they still look gorgeous). I can only thank people here who helped me so much, and in exchange i wanted to do this back. Maybe it won't be useful for you, but maybe it could be for someone.

I will say it again, i am no expert, i don't pretend to be, in every video i make i pretend to post links to this forums and to the emulator homepage. So please, instead of throwing hate, throw help. I hope you read this, and after it, you understand my point so we can keep this thread healthy and friendly.

I do thank you for taking your time, but understand this way we go nowhere, and if i post this here it is because i care about what you have to say or what you think, unlike others who randomly upload videos without taking the time to come here, to post it or read the threads about each game! Wink
Best game settings are the default ones ^_^

Anyways, you're showing one minute of configuration. Rest is gameplay. Why would I want to see that?
Besides that, there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many videos like this on Youtube.

I mean, dude, come on, you could've at least turned the game to english.
Sorry, but I have to agree with neobrain here. This isn't crap, but there's no other word to explain it.

What to do if you want to continue this:
Don't show the settings in the Video. Show them in the description instead. (With a huuuuuuuuuge SETTINGS IN HERE and the link to the dolphin site).
Set the game to English.
Make your videos more interesting. 08/15 gameplay of a overplayed game isn't something that everyone is looking for.
Post them to the Wiki then under the game's article (add the revision you played etc. to help submit data).

Example: 3 years ago it was very (very) hard to emulate Mario Galaxy on Dolphin at full speed, even with HLE. Now it's easy peasy.
Anyways, I got an i7 930 back then and I used that to record a gameplay video of myself playing that at full speed. Voila >30.000 Views.

Noone looks at Dolphin videos nowadays though. (Only if it's the Last Story at 1080p and Full Speed Tongue)
Well, thank you for the reply. The point of the long gameplay is, for this game at least, because before i had major slowdowns in certain parts, like when walking in the main hall in front of the candles, when multiple enemies on-screen ( the 3 dogs from the main hall when opening the door), glitches with the mirrors in the room on the 2nd floor, and the music getting screwed in the room where the zombie attack after getting the defense knife (when using HLE). So that's why i wanted this concrete places to appear in the video.

I didnt know that leaving options as default were the best option, i will tweak them around and see, thx for the info. Anyway the point here was also being able to use the emulator graphic enhancements and still be able to play smoothly. I tried some other confgs here and i was slower.

In the other hand, about showing the config at the begining, well, removing this would make the video pointless afterall. The only purpose here was "these are my settings, and this is how it runs with this on". When i had trouble and looked for help outside here, many times what made the trick for me where this kind of videos where the config was shown briefly so i could pause it and check everything with one look and i loved it. I guess this is about personal prefferences, tho i can understand what you say.

Again, the idea here is, that i dont wan't to get "popular" with this or get thoundsands of views with my videos, if i have just a few but it was useful for someone, i'd still be happy with it. I don't want it to show PC horsepower, since mine is really outdated, tbh (But that's the point here afterall). This was meant for really noob / not friendly with dolphin users.

About the language, well, i am making a big effort using english for everything, but i was thinking of uploading each video on english and also uploading it in spanish, since i can understand its he "common" language to use, but in the end, i am spanish too. I really don't want to derail the post here, but being honest, it hurts when your language is spoken by so many people on this world and it has so bad suport in the gaming world or considered "some crappy *insert insult here* language" for so many people in the internet, if you know what i mean. So i'm still thinking about this. I'd really like to support my language at the same time, but again, i see your point and the "spanglish" video doesn't make much sense. I was just trying to explain myself, since i'd guess this comes because of the doubts i have of how to manage this matter.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of posting them on the wiki, but after reading your feedback, if they are so terrible i am really not sure about it, what would be the point?. Regards