Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature request: Frame skipping setting saveable and/or pergame.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
So, I've pretty much finished building and configuring my new HTPC. Before you comment on the selection of S -processor and unclockability or sticking to IGP, I gave the components a lot of thought, and I specifically wanted a small HTPC with no moving parts whatsoever with a low power consumption.

The processor seems to be very fast, and what I've noticed is, that the IGP limits the performance in dolphin in most cases. In fact, FPS starts to drop fast, if I rise the internal resolution above 1,5x and even 1,5x is too much for the games of "demanding 3d type", so I use IR of 1x for those. The graphics aren't that much greater than with Wii, but at least I can have just one machine running.

But what I've also noticed is that in my situation (IGP causing FPS drop to 45-55 (or something) when playing SMG, seen for example in Good Egg Galaxy) adjusting the Frame Skipping to 1 causes very fluid transitions of FPS to steady 30 WITHOUT acual loss of game speed. This can be seen as reduced smoothness in video, but playability or responsiveness isn't affected that much/at all. FPS returns to 60 as soon as I leave the GPU-demanding area or move away from it.

I also know that Frame Skipping doesn't always bring reliable solution, if ever (in Dolphin), and the priority of fine tuning the GUI option isn't that high.

So my request is this: Could the Frame Skipping option nevertheless be implemented as gameini setting ([Video_Hacks] FrameSkipping = [0-9])? The option isn't saved at all at the moment, but I'd rather not use it in all games, so plain saveability wouldn't be a complete fix for me.

(Didn't find a thread directly discussing this, sorry to bother, if it was already closed...)
This may be a good issue report. You have a very well written argument + reasoning behind it.

I don't know if it'll work out, but, it's always worth a shot. Some Dev may see it and be bored and implement it; there's no reason not to!
Thank you for the quick response. I'll do that (issue report)! Smile
There's a pull request adding it already. Hopefully it gets merged after code review for you.
Wow I'm impressed (and happy), the feature was merged today to the master branch, by rachelbryk. Thank you!
No problem Smile
To clear this up: If the CPU is able to run the game at 100% but the GPU isn't, will this speed it up? It looks like this is what it was aimed for.
Yes, at the cost of choppy video.
Amazing. I thought frame skipping still required the GPU to be able to render the game at full speed.
No, that's the entire point, it just doesn't render frames.