Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will any of the newlyish-implemented extensions work on my card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Idn't be asking here, but searching didn't find anything I could use to figure this, there's a bunch of OGL extensions and features now supported in Dolphin, and I have no idea if any of them will work on my card. I know that one definitely will not work (that ARB_somethingorother one), since my card is OGL 3.2, but there is an extension that AMD implemented on their cards (not sure if on my card) that is functionally similar (AMD_pinned_memory), and I can't tell if I can use it.

Specs-ish:
ATi Radeon HD 5770 (supports up to OpenGL 3.2)
latest drivers, I think. Still a little hazy on that. What year is it?

I want to know because I need to know whether or not I should stick to D3D.
they should but you'll most likely be bottlenecked by the CPU anyways so no big deal.
(02-16-2014, 06:34 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]you'll most likely be bottlenecked by the CPU

I'd be a fool to not know this by now, having had it drilled into my head constantly and having used the emulator infrequently.
As far as I know every AMD GPU that supports dolphin should support amd pinned memory. So yes.
To support NV's guess, support for either AMD_pinned_memory or ARB_buffer_storage (fuck if I remember which) was recently implemented in Linux's open-source AMD drivers for all GPUs going way back to the r300 cards, e.g. the Radeon X1600 (which predates GL 3 completely!). The hardware support's definitely been there for ages, so it stands to reason that the software support should be too.
(02-17-2014, 01:18 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]To support NV's guess, support for either AMD_pinned_memory or ARB_buffer_storage (fuck if I remember which) was recently implemented in Linux's open-source AMD drivers for all GPUs going way back to the r300 cards, e.g. the Radeon X1600 (which predates GL 3 completely!). The hardware support's definitely been there for ages, so it stands to reason that the software support should be too.
It was ARB_buffer_storage, but note that the patches haven't been merged yet, afaik.

About hardware support being available for ARB_buffer_storage: that might be true technically, but there's a bug in the OpenGL specification which (sort of) adds a dependency of that extention on ARB_image_load_store, which is not widely supported on older hardware.
Interestingly enough the only thing I could find on google about what graphics cards support amd pinned memory was this: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.vid...evel/67558

Man that tino guy sure is persistent isn't he Tongue.
Yeah, uh.. that tino guy. right...

Nevertheless interesting that my post shows up that high in Google ranks :O
It doesn't. I had to do some digging because there isn't any relevant information anywhere. I don't know how you even managed to find out about that extension.