Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my PC work with Dolphin? #18203948
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

NutOfDeath

I want play GCN and Wii games while recording them with decent quality. I'd probably play games like the Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Smash Bros games. I'm sorry if these are really crappy specs, I'm not a technical wiz, so I don't know if these are bad or not.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
RAM: 6.1 GB
Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family
Yeah , that i5 is ultra low power CPU which is totally crap . You can't even run game at playable speed
i5 4200M is a whole lot better for most games but still not good enough for some demanding games .
i7 4702MQ , i7 4700MQ , i7 4750HQ are your best bet . Just tell us your budget then maybe we'll recommend some notebook models for you
(02-16-2014, 11:18 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah , that i5 is ultra low power CPU which is totally crap . You can't even run game at playable speed
i5 4200M is a whole lot better for most games but still not good enough for some demanding games .
i7 4702MQ , i7 4700MQ , i7 4750HQ are your best bet . Just tell us your budget then maybe we'll recommend some notebook models for you

According to the sticky topic, isn't Intel Core i5 suppose to be a category 1(extremely fast) processor?

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...-hierarchy
Yes, but that I5 is an ultra low power model made for ultra books. They get that low power threshold by under-clocking the cpu. We're not saying he can't run games, Nsmb Wii can run, LOZ Wind Waker should, Smash Bros M or B will run. We're just saying don't expect full speed all the time or at all for some games. For that computer, always use Hle audio. EFB to texture can speed up emulation, with a few glitches depending on the game. Try to run lightweight games as well. Mario Galaxy is very demanding, it won't run well. Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword won't either. Smash Bros should run decently. Just experiment and try to see what works best.
Edit: Just realized that wasn't OP.
Ultra low power CPUs are much weaker then their M counterpart due to a low clock rate and throttling depending on the cooling system of the laptop/tablet. Stay away
from CPUs that have a U or a Y at the end because those both have reduced performance due to low voltage. Also the i7s are better because the ones Admin listed
are quad core and not dual core plus the HQ also has a very good integrated GPU. Anyway, what is your budget?

Edit: Got beaten to the post.