Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: cpu not going above 50% usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

steimlem

i use an i3 2100 cpu and i know it's not the best processor out there but it never seems to go above 50% or so in dolphin . i am getting slowdowns in most games. baten kaitos i am getting 20's fps which is too slow to play. is my processor just not fast enough? or is something causing it not to run at its fullest potential? gpu is 6870 with barebones graphics settings so i'm sure the gpu isn't the issue. thanks
dolphin can only use 2 cores. So on quad core cpus, not more than 50% is possible.

steimlem

(02-14-2014, 03:34 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin can only use 2 cores. So on quad core cpus, not more than 50% is possible.

my i3 2100 is a dual core 3.1 ghz processor .. under task manager says cpu usage low 50% at most while dolphin is running at 23 fps for baten kaitos. under core temp core 1 is high 40's while core 2 is in the teens
Dual core? So maybe you haven't enabled the dual core mode in the dolphin settings? But this is enabled by default.
Either you don't have Dual Core mode enabled in dolphin settings or your GPU is bottlenecking the CPU.
Have you people not heard of HT? :p
Oh yaaaa!!

steimlem

(02-14-2014, 04:17 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you people not heard of HT? :p

still wouldn't explain why in core temp it is showing 1 core at 47% and the other core at 12% while playing baten kaitos and getting 23 fps.. shouldn't my cpu usage be higher per core?

i do have dual core enabled btw.. and like i said my gpu is pretty good and i'm running native resolution for testing purposes so i doubt it's bottlenecked by the gpu.
(02-14-2014, 04:41 AM)steimlem Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2014, 04:17 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you people not heard of HT? :p

still wouldn't explain why in core temp it is showing 1 core at 47% and the other core at 12% while playing baten kaitos and getting 23 fps.. shouldn't my cpu usage be higher per core?

i do have dual core enabled btw.. and like i said my gpu is pretty good and i'm running native resolution for testing purposes so i doubt it's bottlenecked by the gpu.

update- i tried unchecking dual core and i get the exact same 23 fps and core 1- 47% core 2 - 12%

so it seems like dual core mode isn't properly working for me?

For baten kaitos single core is the default since with dual core you get an almost certain crash after taking pics of monsters or while trying to sell them. Change the setting in the game properties if you want, but you should not take any pics and earn money that way or face crashes.

steimlem

well no one seems to be grasping what im saying but thanks anyway. ill just play it on my gamecube and try again in a year or 2 so when i upgrade my pc next
Pages: 1 2