Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: G-Sync doesn't work with dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently got a g-sync monitor, and not very surprisingly g-sync doesn't function with dolphin (seeing as Nvidia's shadowplay doesn't either). I tried OpenGL, dx11 and the software renderer and none of them currently function with g-sync. These monitors are starting to pop up in the wild, so I thought I'd just mention this here.
There is an issue with Vsync being always-enabled in the current dev versions. I have no idea if that would affect it or not, but it might? What version did you try?
Must games support g-sync explicitly or is this a driver feature which will work for every game?
I tried with the latest build 4.0-862 as well as 4.0-854. G-Sync has functioned fine with all my other software/games that I have that have no v-sync toggle. As long as it goes full screen g-sync engages. I've tried all the back ends with full screen checked with v-sync toggled both on and off. It could be related, but I'm not sure.

I'm using:
Nvidia GTX 770 using latest beta drivers 334.67
ASUS VG248QE with G-Sync upgrade.

It is supposed to be a driver feature that works with every game, but I've only had it for a couple days. There are several games in my steam collection that don't work with it as well. So it's not universal at the moment.

Mame works awesomely with g-sync if you are looking for an open source example that works well with it. I found this thread on the mameworld forum when I was researching my g-sync purchase: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...ber=316328

Quote:As far as I understand, I think there's nothing special to implement on the MAME side. As it is now, just running with -throttle -nosyncrefresh -nowaitvsync -notriplebuffer already makes D3D Present() to be called with the D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE flag. You should only make sure that a Gsync capable video mode is chosen for the desktop.
btw, how do you notice if g-sync is used?
(02-13-2014, 11:24 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]btw, how do you notice if g-sync is used?

There is a button on the monitor for enabling back light strobing "ULMB". When g-sync is active an OSD message pops up saying "ULMB not available in G-SYNC mode". Also under the OSD information it reads Mode "NVIDIA G-SYNC". So it takes 1 button press to verify g-sync is working.

Thanks for the interest in this problem. I can only imagine I'm one of a handful of people this will be affecting for the next few months. The retail versions of g-sync monitors won't be hitting until Q2 2014. I must admit I got a bit impatient and jumped on board now. Nothing like buying a monitor with a DIY PCB and a voided warranty on the LCD panel on day one. Big Grin
So I figured out how to get g-sync working. "Keep window on top" has to be checked as well as "Use fullscreen". Once these are checked, dolphin kicks into g-sync upon starting a game. The only issue is that upon hitting escape to exit the game, the pop up asking if you want to end emulation is not displayed. If you hit return or the space bar it will exit emulation. And if I select "Hide mouse cursor" I sometimes have to ctrl-alt-del and then escape after ending emulation to get out of the resulting black screen. This is using windows 8.1 with a GTX 770 and driver version 334.89.

For those trying to get shadowplay working, enabling "Keep window on top" may do the trick.
(02-25-2014, 07:08 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]Might be https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...fullscreen

Without enabling "Keep window on top" as well as "Use fullscreen" you do get the problem described in that issue report. After enabling keep window on top, g-sync starts working, but there are issues when trying to exit emulation.
(02-25-2014, 07:08 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]Might be https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...fullscreen

If that is the case, could 4.0 be tested with dx9 to see if that works? (dx9 supports exclusive fullscreen right?)
Pages: 1 2