Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 25% Speed Increase temporary by a simple click? -Resolved- PowerMng Issue w/ Laptops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just found an interesting fact that increases the FPS speed temporary.
This Trick ONLY Worked with DX11 (Did not work with DX9)

Simply, all I have to do is click on "Graphics" while the game is on to boost its FPS speed.

Here are Screenshots, Notice how the FPS Changes. The Framelimit is placed on "Off" in setting to find out the MAX FPS.

1) Game Started Normally, FPS almost 60
[Image: e12p.png]

2) As Soon as I click on Graphics, FPS increased to more than 74
[Image: q2w8.png]

3) Just after seconds and the FPS Drops back to 60 FPS Again.
[Image: xajm.png]

4) Again, Clicking on Graphics increases the FPS.
[Image: 7y5a.png]

If you also have noticed, in image one, Nvidia's Shader clock was 648 MHz (Image 1), but as soon as I click graphics, it becomes 1542MHz (Image 2).

Any Idea how to fix the Shader Clock to 1542? I think this is the trick to constantly have increased the FPS.
DX9 Shader Clock = 1698 MHz for while, then decreases back to 1333 MHz. But sure DX11 is much less.

I Also Attached the FPS LOG of this test for anyone interested.

Specs:
Asus Laptop
Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.40GHz
GeForce GTX 780M
24 GB Ram (don't know the brand)
Windows 8 Pro
iirc, this had to do with dolphin switching to EFB to Texture when you open the graphics tab, i think.
Well, Enabling "Skip EFP Access from CPU" Does make the Shader Clock at a higher value for a pretty longer time (used to be for 2 seconds, now about 10-30 seconds) but then the speeds go down after that. If I click on Graphics Again, the Speed goes up for another shot. It's interesting that if I keep clicking graphics from time to time, the speed won't go down and the shader clock is at a consant value of 1698 MHz.
Try to use the nvidia control panel to switch to the performance mode all the time while dolphin is running.
(02-13-2014, 10:56 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Try to use the nvidia control panel to switch to the performance mode all the time while dolphin is running.

Your Absolutely Right. As Soon as I started Nvidia Control panel, I noticed a change in the Shader Clock for few secs.

I changed to PERFORMANCE Mode, the Shader is constantly clocked at 1542MHz. Thanks for the nice tip. Now I can play many games with a Full Speed using EFP Copies to RAM".

Things I followed to make it performance all time:

[Image: oq3v.png]
[Image: 7l6a.jpg]

Thanks you all for help.

regards,
btw: the second image is the correct one, the first don't have to be touched (in fact, change it to quality will break the ogl backend)
(02-13-2014, 11:56 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]btw: the second image is the correct one, the first don't have to be touched (in fact, change it to quality will break the ogl backend)

Alright, I'll do that and put it back to "let the 3D application decide", Thanks!