Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Characters move faster than they should?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just started using Dolphin and I'm curious - do characters move a little faster in the emulator than they do on the wii? I feel like my Link in Twilight Princess looks like he's just moving faster. Is that the case?
What VPS are you getting? You might have turned the framelimiter off.
I think Melee has a well known issue (in the Melee community at least?) of characters falling faster than they should. At least this seemed to be the case the last time I played it, dunno if it has been taken care of recently.

As for other games, I haven't noticed anything aside from Melee exhibiting and sort of unnecessary speed-ups. Have you checked to make sure that your game speed (Dolphin represents this as a %) is more or less 100% all the time? A sudden spike might explain what you're experiencing. Generally though, when Dolphin says a game is running at 100% it's as close to matching the Wii's speed as anything non-Wii/Wii-U will get.
Shonumi: I've been streaming online Melee via Dolphin and we have some professional players that have joined in; are you sure that the characters move improperly on Dolphin?

No one has told me in the past year and a half that we've had online.
I forget which Melee community it was, but some of them played Dolphin (not all of them though). For some reason, it only seems to affect certain levels. Green Greens is one of them. You fall noticeably quicker than on a real console (or at least faster than the last time I put this in my Wii years ago). It's somewhat annoying, like there's a gravity well or something that pulls you down quicker, resulting in cheap deaths.

It may be more noticeable depending on which characters you play as. I use Fox exclusively. I've noticed that characters with a higher gravity value (Captain Falcon, Falco, Bowser), tend to drop like rocks. When I get knocked off the edge, but then I press A to attack a split-second too late (e.g. misjudging when to attack), Fox always shoots down way faster than I expect him to.
THat's interesting; If We could prove it via video or something, I'd write up an issue report for it.

I'll check it out; I have Melee 1.00 and 1.02 right now, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off, or at least, disprove it.
I can get video for you (hopefully before I go to work). I have no viable way of recording real console output except by smartphone though, but I'll compare it nonetheless with my Melee disc. I dunno the version, never checked it. Bought it used at GameStop years after it came out.

I didn't think to file an issue report because I thought it was known already. Interesting that no one else has said anything yet. Again, maybe that's the way Melee is programmed on real HW, but I don't recall characters falling that fast in Green Greens.

EDIT : Alright, got a video of some characters (mainly Falco) that seem to me as if they're falling way too fast in Green Greens. The consistent behavior is that while performing an attack mid-air (not even A-Down attacks) they fall very fast, at the point where it's basically a non-recoverable KO. I'll post it up on YouTube when I get back from work. I'll also test in on my Wii to make sure I'm not just forgetting that's how the game really plays.
Just an update, apparently this what I described is how Melee is programmed on real HW. However, interestingly enough, on Green Greens, it seems that the gravity is somehow increased when falling in between the stages two pits (where the blocks fall in place). The outsides of the stages seem to fall more "normally". Perhaps they did this to increase the difficulty of the stage (makes sense when the tree does try to blow you closer to those spots). But it does result in cheap deaths with high-gravity characters (thanks Nintendo). The difference seems to be that high-gravity characters like Fox and Falco fall (seemingly at most) half a second faster in these two spots.

It's been a while, but the games play on my Wii just like Dolphin, so there's no issue, just a curious case of the game doing something I never realized it was doing.
It's one of the reasons that even if we disable the blocks, people don't like this stage for competitive play.