Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD A8-6600K w/ Integrated Graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi ladies. i got a urgent question in mine i have to ask you. im getting a new pc this month with a tight budget of $400 - $500
how well will an amd a8-6600k w/ integrated graphics and 8gb ddr3-1333 ram run in these games?

DBZ Budokai 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Super Mario Bros Wii
The Hulk On Gamecube

thx for your support,
love, the brilliant self-cofident newbie, simonstreakio
The A8-6600k will be able to handle most light-weight games, and some medium games, at or near fullspeed. Budokai and Brawl will probably be near fullspeed, SMBW will probably have some slowdowns, and don't know about Hulk.

Dolphin relies on strong single-core speeds in the CPU, and the AMD APUs are behind Intel in that respect. When people ask us about hardware, we recommend Intel Haswell CPUs because they're currently the fastest. If you want to get some faster speeds, look into getting a Pentium G3220 or i3-4340/i3-4130 (Haswell) with a Z87 motherboard so that you can get an i5-4670k later on, or upgrade to Broadwell when they're released. The integrated graphics aren't as good as APU integrated, but you can use it for a while while saving up for a nice AMD/Nvidia card that will be better than AMD/Intel integrated.
You can get a full combo i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz + AMD R7 250 + SSD + good case + H81 mobo.... that surely kill any APU at that price range or i5 4670k with integrated Intel HD 4600 (almost on par with Nvidia GT 630) + MSI Z87 mobo ....
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...-500-setup
(02-13-2014, 02:53 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You can get a full combo i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz + AMD R7 250 + SSD + good case + H81 mobo.... that surely kill any APU at that price range or i5 4670k with integrated Intel HD 4600 (almost on par with Nvidia GT 630) + MSI Z87 mobo ....
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...-500-setup
Isn't the Intel HD 4600 equal to the Geforce GT 610 based on reviews? anyway
i prefer amd because intel's way of processing shaders and shadows using IGP sort of suck. alot of games i would also play besides dolphin and pcsx2 use GLSL.
if you can think of a way to get a good processor + good video card and a small slim case then that would be great.
Intel HD 4600 performance is pretty close to the integrated AMD 7660D performance . Afaik , AMD 7660D > AMD 8570D
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core...521-4.html
Quote:if you can think of a way to get a good processor + good video card and a small slim case then that would be great.
Define "small slim case" !
I'm afraid i can't help you with that so little information . I don't know how small it is but a low profile AMD 7750 / R7 250 should be able to fit most small case
Drivers on Intel Suck quite a bit. I know they used to not play well with Dolphin in the past (someone please confirm on the current builds/4.0.2) and you are using this for other applications too, which may introduce problems of their own. I would either stick with the APU or get a 4670K + Discrete if you could afford it. If not, then maybe the lower end i3 admin89 recommended.

Also, what form factor of a case were you thinking about? MiniAtX, Micro, etc?
SimonStreakio Wrote:i prefer amd because intel's way of processing shaders and shadows using IGP sort of suck.

Please explain. Shaders are built using an API and a shader language. As long as the shader properly complies with the rules of that API it will produce exactly the same result on any GPU that implements that API, including AMD and Intel IGPs.

For dolphin you're MUCH better off getting a haswell pentium cpu like the G3220 for the same price as an AMD APU. You won't experience any driver or performance issues.
(02-13-2014, 11:15 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
SimonStreakio Wrote:i prefer amd because intel's way of processing shaders and shadows using IGP sort of suck.

Please explain. Shaders are built using an API and a shader language. As long as the shader properly complies with the rules of that API it will produce exactly the same result on any GPU that implements that API, including AMD and Intel IGPs.

For dolphin you're MUCH better off getting a haswell pentium cpu like the G3220 for the same price as an AMD APU. You won't experience any driver or performance issues.

how come on my very old mobile intel gma laptop glsl shaders looked dark and ugly, but on an amd mobile apu, it looked smooth and what not.
I don't know since you haven't provided any usable information about the problem. I assume by glsl shaders that you're referring to the dolphin glsl openGL backend? If I had to guess your old gma probably was not fully compliant with the version of openGL required by the backend. GMA IGPs are VERY old. You would have likely experienced similar issues on an AMD/ATI GPU that old as well (if it even ran at all). It's not entirely fair to compare the API support of an old Intel IGP against a current AMD IGP. Current Intel IGPs support the same APIs as current AMD IGPs.
(02-13-2014, 02:56 PM)SimonStreakio Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2014, 11:15 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]

how come on my very old mobile intel gma laptop glsl shaders looked dark and ugly, but on an amd mobile apu, it looked smooth and what not.
That intel GMA chip is nothing compared to the newer IGPU's when it comes to performance that come with Intel CPU's in the haswell line like Natural Violence Pointed out. Ive used laptops a few years back with GMA, they didnt do well even then. He also confirmed that dolphin no longer has issues with modern Intel iGPUs (thanks NV).

I would still be concerned about actual PC games with that iGPU, but for dolphin that CPU and iGPU would be excellent.
Pages: 1 2