Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need a bit of help adjusting CPU for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished building a new desktop last month(first ever), and have started trying Dolphin the last couple of weeks.
Specs:
Intel i5 4670K(Haswell)
Asus GTX 770(GFX card)
Noctua NH-DH 14(cooler) + 3 corsair AF120 fans around the case to help with cooling.
Asus Maximus VI Hero(Motherboard)

If you need the rest, I can provide those as well :V
So far I have tried Xenoblade which actually seems to run flawlessly at stock speeds, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Brawl all of which run flawlessly.
However, predictably, while they actually run fairly well, it does stutter quite a bit when playing Last Story and Super Mario Galaxy.
Frankly, I am a bit intimidated by trying to overclock and what not, and AFAIK I have turned of settings in BIOS to allow the CPU to run at stock speeds, including turbo boost.

So this is my query:
Is it safe to just use turbo boost(I think the exact setting is called Intel SpeedStep)? If not, can someone who's familiar with either overclocking OR has experience using the Maximus VI Hero's BIOS give any advice on what to change here?

EDIT:
Also I am hoping this desktop lasts me at least 5-6 years, will overclocking/turbo boost reduce my CPU life/desktop life in a significant way?
Nice build. Depending on your behavior and preferences, it'll last you for (a few) years.

Could you define your 'stuttering'?
Do you just get framedrops which after returns to the normal FPS?

Quote:Is it safe to just use turbo boost(I think the exact setting is called Intel SpeedStep)?
Yes it is safe and no, it's not called Intel Speedstep. Intel Speedstep downclocks your CPU to a certain clock when it's not in heavy use. It's safe to use and saves power and money. Keep it on unless it causes issues (which it shouldn't). You should have an option in your BIOS that's called "Turbo Boost", perhaps with a multiplier next to it.

There are a few guides out there that you can follow:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthr...t=18574146
http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-...46180.html

Not the same motherboard, but it can be helpful:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1...swell.html

Quote:will overclocking/turbo boost reduce my CPU life/desktop life in a significant way?
Depends. If your CPU voltage and temperatures are in check, then it will not reduce its lifespan in a significant way.
When I say 'last for 5 years'- I don't mean max every game out till then, that obviously won't happen. Just hoping the system won't explode in my face till then lol. I don't ever max out my games even now, I always keep antialiasing/filtering/DOF and sometimes SSAO off for example, and I will be fine playing on lower settings in the future.
Kinda felt I may have across that way in the OP, hence the clarification >>;

Stuttering- Basically slowdowns in cutscenes or audio, which IIRC is the sign that one needs a better CPU/speed. I used the settings on the wiki pages for each title I tried BTW.

Alright then, going to try Turbo Boost and enable SpeedStep if I disabled it. Do I need to adjust anything else for just Turbo Boost? D:
If Turbo Boost works out, I won't bother overclocking >>; Still a bit intimidating.

Thanks for replying!

EDIT:
Turbo Boost seems to fit my needs nicely. There's still audio stuttering present(much lesser in Galaxy than Last Story) but i can live with that. Might play Last Story on HLE instead Smile

Couple of more questions:
Is a temperature of 40-60 celsius an issue? The max I actually seemed to reach was 41, but figured I would ask about that range anyway for future reference.
My CPU seemed to go up to 3600 MHz, does that mean it only goes up to the amount needed or the amount allowed by temperature and other factors?
Also, is idling at about 28 to 35 celsius good?
So uh, just wondering...
How much more intensive than Last Story would Metroid Trilogy and Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers be considered?
Even with turbo boost, and audio on HLE, I am having a tough time running them Sad At least Crystal Bearers, Trilogy only seems to have audio issues while gameplay is apparently rock solid.
I am guessing it's these games which really require overclocking ;o;
What did you overclock your CPU to and what build are you running?

(02-12-2014, 08:01 PM)eclipsezeromh Wrote: [ -> ]Stuttering- Basically slowdowns in cutscenes or audio, which IIRC is the sign that one needs a better CPU/speed. I used the settings on the wiki pages for each title I tried BTW.
Not necessarily. Do you get the stuttering when your FPS/VPS drops or are you at fullspeed?

Quote:EDIT:
Turbo Boost seems to fit my needs nicely. There's still audio stuttering present(much lesser in Galaxy than Last Story) but i can live with that. Might play Last Story on HLE instead Smile
The Last Story works fine on HLE, there's no need to use LLE.

Quote:Couple of more questions:
Is a temperature of 40-60 celsius an issue? The max I actually seemed to reach was 41, but figured I would ask about that range anyway for future reference.
My CPU seemed to go up to 3600 MHz, does that mean it only goes up to the amount needed or the amount allowed by temperature and other factors?
Also, is idling at about 28 to 35 celsius good?
That temperature is safe and your idle temps are good. Your CPU turbo boosts to whatever multiplier you set it at unless you're overheating. You should set it to all cores though (if it already isn't).

Quote:So uh, just wondering...
How much more intensive than Last Story would Metroid Trilogy and Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers be considered?
Even with turbo boost, and audio on HLE, I am having a tough time running them Sad At least Crystal Bearers, Trilogy only seems to have audio issues while gameplay is apparently rock solid.
I am guessing it's these games which really require overclocking ;o;
The Last Story is pretty 'intensive' yes. Are you getting fullspeed (30FPS)?
I barely played Crystal Bearers, but when I get home I'll do some tests.
You can try degasus' audio-latency-fix-branch and see if it fixes some of the stuttering.
Build is already in the OP...? >>;
Also, er, I haven't overclocked yet, just enabled intel turbo boost. It allows me to run Galaxy just fine so(with minor fps/audio issues) >_>;
As for Last Story...I may or may not be a dumbass. I assumed the speed I was getting was normal/full...nope. When playing in fullscreen I get anywhere between 19 to 26 FPS, and that's without any graphical enhancements at all.
Settings used for Last Story:
Wiki recommendations + HLE audio(XAudio2, framelimit on auto)
Also when running Last Story all my cores are running at about 3600 MHz, while with Crystal Bearers they seem to go higher and the game still struggles.
EDIT:
Should probably mention I am running on OpenGL as that seems to run faster for me.
EDIT2:
I...I feel utterly confused here. I changed my settings on a whim after referring a Crystal Bearers youtube video and...well, it's running pretty damn smooth now.
Changes done:
Framelimit set to 60 instead of Auto
OpenGL to DirectX 11
EFB Copies set to texture(It was on RAM for Crystal Bearers as that's what the wiki page seemed to indicate was needed, changing to texture hasn't had any noticeable difference for me.)

Metroid also seems to be running well with next to no audio issues, though I notice that trying to run Corruption results in a crash every time, no idea why.
Last Story is the same case, better than before but definitely not full speed(with RAM BTW, not Texture)
I am weirded out since I could've sworn OpenGL ran better before...apparently changing frame limit gave a boost to X11 @_@
OpenGL should give the best speeds. If you're on one of the stable builds, enable the Vertex Streaming Hack. On the latest dev builds, OpenGL has some new extensions for OGL 4.4 that do the same thing as Vertx Streaming Hack (as long as you have the latest Nvidia drivers).
For what it's worth, changing the framelimit from Auto to 60 is pretty much always placebo. Unless it's a D3D11 thing, in which case we should just remove D3D11.

Also, yeah, OpenGL with Vertex Streaming Hack checked is almost always faster than D3D11 on Nvidia GPUs.