Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Select D3D9 with Latest Build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I older builds there used to be an option to select d3d9 instead of d3d11. Now the option just says "d3d" and I'm assuming it means d3d11. Is there a way to get d3d9 as an option?
no
With the big improvements made in OpenGL, D3D is almost not needed; at least for NVidia GPU users. Tongue
(02-12-2014, 06:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]With the big improvements made in OpenGL, D3D is almost not needed; at least for NVidia GPU users. Tongue

That's what I keep reading, but I have a geforce gtx 650 ti with the latest nvidia drivers, and I get a noticeable speed DEcrease whenever I try OpenGL over D3D.
(02-12-2014, 06:55 AM)haints Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2014, 06:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]With the big improvements made in OpenGL, D3D is almost not needed; at least for NVidia GPU users. Tongue

That's what I keep reading, but I have a geforce gtx 650 ti with the latest nvidia drivers, and I get a noticeable speed DEcrease whenever I try OpenGL over D3D.

Maybe because your CPU is too old and slow?
Why is everyone always making hurtful comments about my CPU? It's a very nice CPU. Very friendly and easy going. Believe me, if you ever met it, you would think so too.

Anyway, I assumed (I guess incorrectly) that OpenGL was more dependent on my video card than my cpu.
(02-12-2014, 07:31 AM)haints Wrote: [ -> ]Why is everyone always making hurtful comments about my CPU? It's a very nice CPU. Very friendly and easy going. Believe me, if you ever met it, you would think so too.

Anyway, I assumed (I guess incorrectly) that OpenGL was more dependent on my video card than my cpu.

We don´t make hurtful comments like you are saying. It´s just the truth. Dolphin is too demanding today for that chip. I know what I´m saying since I have a desktop with a Pentium Dual-Core (which started the Core 2 series, according to Wikipedia).

ADD: It does rely on GPU, but if you still have slowdowns even with "fast" settings your problem is the processor.
No offense Haints, but in terms of emulation your computer is a dinosaur. It cannot emulate the Wii CPU full speed regardless of the GPU. D3D9 will be faster vs OGL EFB2Ram, but on EFB2Texture, so long as you have the latest GPU drivers and use the VSH when it existed, or just have the latest drivers on the latest builds, you'll do better.
haints Wrote:Why is everyone always making hurtful comments about my CPU?

While the comments may be "hurtful", they're also very much true. Imagine if we lied to all the users asking how Dolphin will perform on their old hardware.

But that's beside the topic at hand. As JMC47 noted, it's not enough to just select OpenGL and be done with it. For builds that include the Vertex Streaming Hack, you should use it to get a performance boost. For the latest builds, you should update your Nvidia drivers to the very latest. Simply switching from D3D to OpenGL is only one step.
Guys, I was just kind of joking about the "hurtful" comments thing. I know my cpu is very old and I don't take it personally. Guess it is time to bite the bullet and upgrade. Thanks everyone for responding!