Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Able to host netplay games, but unable to connect to others using UDP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Silby

Hi all, love the dolphin emulator, great work!

Using dolphin 3.5 I was able to port forward and host/connect to others. Now using dolphin 4.0-648 or dolphin 4.0-652 netplay revisions, I am able to host but not connect to others.

my router is: Medialink's MWN-WAPR150N Wireless-N Broadband Router
the Dolphin.exe is listed as an exception in my windows firewall.
I am on a wired connection
I have read the support FAQ, but do not have permission to view the "common-error-messages" thread

Oddly enough, I AM able to connect to two people that live 1 hour driving distance away, but everyone else the "connect" button is grayed out until dolphin eventually goes unresponsive.

Let me know any other information I could post to be more helpful. Thanks!
Which games are you experiencing this issue in?

Silby

(02-10-2014, 01:01 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Which games are you experiencing this issue in?

So far I've only been playing two games on netplay:
Super Smash Bros Melee v1.02
and also a pretty complicated "project M" iso, which is brawl modded and repackaged as a new iso:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1...lay_guide/

(did I use the word repackage correctly? I don't even know)

but same issue for both, able to host using the 8 character ID but trying to connect to others causes the "connect" button to become grayed out until dolphin goes unresponsive. If the person I'm connecting to closes their dolphin, then I get the popup "disconnected"
Yeah, there's a good amount of Project M users here, and I think that's the right term.

Another formality, but are you both using the same revision of Dolphin, and a good dump of the games? (check the md5 hash against Google to see if its a good dump. If not, you need to redump the game)

(02-10-2014, 01:20 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You should use a program to generate your game dump's MD5 hash, then check it against verified hashes on sites like GameTDB.com or Redump.org. ....... if the hashes don't match, you don't have a 1:1 copy of the game disc, hence you should redump your games until you get good dumps.
All games will have this issue. It's because some routers don't play nice with the port breaking schemes in teh branch, and there's no backup method for the people who can port forward.

The solution is to use builds of the branch before UDP was added.
Try disabling the firewall from your router's firmware...

Silby

disabling firewall results in the same error, disabling NAT results in "timeout connecting to traversal server" so I think that's a good sign. At least shows that when I disable firewall from the same section of router settings, changes in settings are being applied.
What router model do you have?

psyal

Just as a note: I had this problem with Project M as well so I enabled DMZ and now I can connect to people.

Silby

(02-12-2014, 05:41 AM)psyal Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a note: I had this problem with Project M as well so I enabled DMZ and now I can connect to people.

Hey thanks!! Was able to connect to someone enabling DMZ. I'll test it with more people but seems like that did the trick.

So... just HOW BAD of an idea is it for my computer to be listed as a dmz host? Is it something that's safe to leave as a setting for extended periods of time? I suppose this is something I can ask anywhere on the internet, but I might as well post it here since I wanted to update the thread with the solution.