Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lenovo Yoga 2 pro good enough for Melee?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mdz1

Full specs here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ide...oga-2-pro/

Would any of those models be capable of running Melee at 60fps (even on Fountain of Dreams). If not are there any particular ultraportables (ie <14in screen, <4lb) that you think would?
All of those models have low-power CPUs. They have low single-core speeds, and Dolphin needs a lot of single core speed to run.
Melee isn't too demanding of a game, so you may be able to run at a decent speed, but try and get anything more demanding, and it will severely lag.

The Razer Blade Pro is a similar slim size at 6.6 lbs, with an i7-4700MQ CPU and dedicated GPU (great in Dolphin), but is twice the cost of the Yoga 2.

The Lenovo Y410p is cheaper (with the i7-4700MQ and a dedicated graphics card), at 5.5 lbs, but bit thicker: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ide...ies/y410p/

mdz1

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that I would also like a touch screen is possible. Is there any guide or anything to making sense of the processor model numbers and suffixes? Also I know you can't compare clock frequency across different processors, but what about different models of the same processor? If I can make sense of this then I can go off and do my own research instead of having to keep asking for opinions.

EDIT:
Alright I think Im starting to figure all of this out and I just don't really think a touch capable, powerful ultraportable is out there.

Anyone have any thoughts on this laptop, http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks...ifications? Its looking like my front-runner now. I'm still aiming for more of the lightweight side of the power/portability balance so if anyone has any other suggestions Id be glad to hear them.
Here are some model suffixes with their respective meanings (these are the most common for Intel CPUs):

1- The U suffix means ultra-low voltage CPU.

2- The M suffix means moblie CPU.

3- The K suffix means unlocked multiplier CPU.

4- The R suffix means that the CPU comes with any Intel Iris Pro IGP.

5- The QM suffix means quad-core mobile CPU.

Any correction and extension for the list is accepted as well. Tongue
MX is mobile extreme
Also Y (extremely low power, even lower than U), H (high power mobile BGA), HQ (high power quad core mobile BGA), E (standard power mobile BGA), and EQ (standard power quad core mobile BGA). That's not even counting other series like Atom (D, E, N, S, C, Z, and CE) or celeron that have lots of suffixes/prefixes or old discountinued ones. So yeah it would be a pretty long list if you wrote out all of them.

@OP

You must understand that based on fundamental physical properties portability and processing power end up being directing opposed to one another. The more portable a device is the less power it must use, the less heat it must generate, and the less space its parts must take up. All of these things require cutbacks to be made that hurt performance significantly.

Every computer lies somewhere on the scale of high performance to high portability. You must choose where on that scale you want to be. But you can't have the best of both worlds at the same time.