Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS halved - details inside
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

spankert69

(This may be sort of a long story, but I am starting from the beginning as not to miss any details)

I installed the newest version of Dolphin. I played FFCC at 30-31 FPS and everything was smooth, until, my system what shut down with no warning. I asked my computer guy what could be happening. I said I think it is overheating, he said he thinks one of my ram sticks may be acting up. So I have 4 gigs of ram, 2 2gb sticks. I took turns removing each to figure out which was problematic. Turns out neither, a good dusting fixed the shut downs.

HOWEVER - here is my new problem.

Now FFCC only runs at 15-16 FPS

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to run at 30FPS again! I believe extremely it has something to do with me switching the ram in and out, but all my other modern games work on high settings and my computer recognizes that all 4g of ram is present!

My drivers are all updated as well.

I already tried uninstalling Dolphin, restarting the comp, reinstalling. The problem still remains.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Please the mystery is killing me! I've been messing with everything for around 8 hours today and I'm at my wits end!
1- Phenom II is not a very good processor for actual Dolphin builds.

2- To check if it´s overheating, use CoreTemp or RealTemp.

3- RAM has little to do with performance in Dolphin, unless you have less than 1 GB.

spankert69

(02-09-2014, 11:32 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]1- Phenom II is not a very good processor for actual Dolphin builds.

2- To check if it´s overheating, use CoreTemp or RealTemp.

3- RAM has little to do with performance in Dolphin, unless you have less than 1 GB.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to view!

1 - you may be right, but it was working great beforehand

2. Did that, it was overheating, it has been repaired before time of this post. I just thought it was necessary to mention all the steps I took during time of game working properly to time of error.

3. You are right, it shouldn't have much bearing on what is happening - but this is the only thing that makes sense to me, it's the only thing that happened in between a working game and a nonplayable game. What may be other possible causes of this problem?

My problem occurs regardless of all of these, it is evidently a separate error. What should I be looking for? Anyone have ideas?
Look into a program called CCleaner.
You probably experienced a blue screen crash (when mine crashed, it didn't show an actual blue screen). Run CCleaner to clear off temp files and the memory dump froms crashes, and then use it to scan your registry for any errors.

spankert69

(02-09-2014, 01:03 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Look into a program called CCleaner.
You probably experienced a blue screen crash (when mine crashed, it didn't show an actual blue screen). Run CCleaner to clear off temp files and the memory dump froms crashes, and then use it to scan your registry for any errors.

Interesting, good idea! I'll try this as soon as I'm off work and I'll update.

spankert69

(02-09-2014, 07:19 PM)spankert69 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2014, 01:03 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Look into a program called CCleaner.

Interesting, good idea! I'll try this as soon as I'm off work and I'll update.

Uninstalled dolphin, restarted computer, ran ccleaner, reinstalled dolphin, same issues. What else can I do???
Check for any update (DirectX, Windows).
If you have vsync enabled in Dolphin and/or the video card drivers, try disabling that.
Have you set the framelimiter to 30? As limit by fps is gone in the newst builds, you have to set it to 60 or automaticly.