Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having Different Game configs with 4.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, hello everyone, i am a new forum user, but i have been using dolphin for years now. Thanks to all your posts in here, i never felt the need to make an account to come here for help, but i finally decided to go with it, and i feel the need to start thanking everyone here for this great emulator and all the support given.

And now, with my doubt:

In later revisions (mainly 3.X), i used to make a new folder for each game i wanted to play with the bests settings ( I mean , a fresh dolphin install in a folder named i.e: Zelda windwaker, just for this game, tweaked the config til best results and then used other folders for different games so i didn't have to touch that again).

I know, maybe it's not the best method, but i've been using that and really made the trick for me.

The thing is, since 4.0, now the config is saved in the user documents, as a global one, so i can't do this anymore. I've searched around (And i am sorry if this is something explained or solved somewhere else), and read about configuring the game .inis. I tried this, but i don't really manage with that, or i can't seem to get them working properly.

After a lot of tweaking, the last game i was playing was running perfectly, but now that i want to shift into the next one, i find this config doesn't fit the new game, and i really feel stuck, since i don't wan't to ruin the config for the last game, thus i end not tweaking it for the next i want to play, which means i'm not playing it afterall...

-So my question is: What's the best method for this now? If there is one, where can i find a "guide" of how to do it? What are my choices? I'm not really someone used to tweak .inis without an UI tbh, so i am looking for the easiest method, even if it feels clunky for you Tongue

Hope you guys can help me with this, and again, thanks for everything and for your time you may have spent reading my post, and sorry again if this is already solved/explained somewhere else, i'm a total noob with this kind of stuff and i feel lost ^^

PD: Sorry if i'm not explaining myself properly, my main language is Spanish, so i apalogize if my english is bad or hard to understand
The game .ini files are the way you're supposed to manage settings for individual games now. Only a few options in these files can actually be set from within Dolphin's GUI, so you will have to edit the .ini files manually with something like Notepad. We have a thread describing most of these options you can set here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...s-per-game

If you are having trouble getting certain settings to work (e.g. how do I set the Internal Resolution or Anti-Aliasing?) feel free to ask about it and we will try to answer as best as we can.

Also, your English is pretty good, don't worry about that. I wonder why those with near-perfect English are always the ones apologizing, while those with terrible English never do... :p
Haha tbh i was afraid this was the only answer for this , but i had to ask , was worth a try ;P

And thanks a lot for your fast answer!, i'll get going with it then, i guess anyway it's just a matter of getting used to do it this way til i get good results ^^

The thing is the other day i was trying it with Mario Sunshine ini and nearly ended insane because i couldn't get it work on widescreen, and then suddenly it worked but it looked terrible ( badly stretched, not like for example Wind Waker, which looks awesome at 16:9, something which looked really forced) and ended giving up xD

Something i may ask, which i don't have clear to get really started: You have to config the inis in the common folder in user documents, or the ones in the dolphin folder? I guess it's the first, but i don't understand the purpose of having both folders or if they are linked somehow (Yeah, i'm reaaally noob on this x) )

And again Shonumi, thanks a lot for your answer!
Go to My Documents (or Documents)/Dolphin Emulator/GameSettings.

You´ll see lots of game IDs. The complicated way is to look troughout the list until you find your games' INIs. The fastest way would be:

1- Open Dolphin.

2- Right-click a game, select properties.

3- Select "Edit Configuration" or whatever it says.

4- Anyone continue this list if wanted.
Ok, got it! Thanks for your help too Smile

Anyway, i managed a workaround (At least for me, you can call it "lazy", "vague".... but oh well i'ts for me anyway haha), i have 3 differentes game configs done this far and it's working wonders!

Rather than dealing wih inis, which makes me feel lost and clueless... It's just as simple (and silly) as it follows:

In the common dolphin configuration folder (AKA My Documents/Dolphin Emulator"), i made a new one called "Game configs", inside, i will create a new folder for each new game i wish to have a different config.

The ideas is, i had my Wind Waker config done and working at full speed flawlesly. I opened the "Dolphin Emulator" folder and copied the folders "Config" and "GameSettings", and pasted them in a new folder called "Zelda Wind Waker" inside the folder i made previously ("Game configs").

After this i opened my dolphin again, and i wanted to play Resident Evil remake: I did set up the config for it in the emulator and tested it. Reached one nearly perfect and looking sweet, and did the same, closed the emu, and went again to "My Documents/Dolphin Emulator" and copied again the folders "Config" and "GameSettings", and pasted them in a new folder called "Resident Evil Remake" inside the folder i made previously ("Game Configs").

So, how this works? Yes, this is pure logic and common sense, i know! - Now i wanna switch back to play Wind Waker : First close Dolphin.I would then just open the folder i made ("Game configs"), enter the folder "Wind Waker" and copy what's inside. Then Open again "My Documents/Dolphin Emulator", and paste it there, overwrite the ones existing there, and open Dolphin again.

Run the game you wish to play now (In this case, Wind Waker), and it will be ready with your previous config, without losing other games configs and avoiding to deal with inis =P

I'm not trying to "show" or "prove" anything here! Remember this is a simple method i came with to make my life easier with this issue... so don't jump on me for how simple and vague this may be, i know it is! But maybe someone can come by this post and find this simple, but yet useful, that's the reason why i shared it ^^

This is just my simple workaround with different configs, which is not deep, but its easy and anyone can replicate, and i hope someone could find it useful, and sorry if i made you waste your time and thanks if you read this far Smile
Improving is the idea of technology, so I wouldn´t find a reason to eat you alive just because you did that. Tongue
Yeah, totally, but you know how people are sometimes, so better leave everything well tied before leaving haha.

Someday i will mesh around with those inis, it's just i don't have as much time as i'd like for this kind of things, so i gotta find "alternative methods" if i wanna be able to play a bit after tweaking configs, and for now this simple thing seems to work for now.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your help, it's really nice to join a forum and having a nice first thread like this Wink