Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OSX Performance vs. Windows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

daughter

Just put dolphin on my late 2013 retina macbook pro and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed. I got it specifically to play brawl which it does terrifically at a solid 60FPS in game. Aside from increasing the internal resolution to 2x native with 16x Anisotropic filtering, all the other options are pretty much set to default and the game runs incredibly well.

The only thing that bothers me is going from menu to menu causes a noticeable hiccup, and at the beginning of a match when the characters are spawning, there's a brief slowdown, though the rest of the match plays totally fine.

This got me wondering: is the Graphics backend (and audio for that matter) that much better on windows compared to os x, to the point where I would notice a performance boost if I dualbooted and played on my (currently hypothetical) windows partition?

I understand that first and foremost this program is optimized for windows, so maybe windows could better utilize my current PC hardware?

Appreciate anyone who could help me better understand my situation.
Generally Windows runs Dolphin a little bit better because of the way Nvidia has their drivers coded on OSX.

What CPU model do you have, specifically? It can impact whether or not you can see more speed on windows

daughter

(02-06-2014, 11:50 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Generally Windows runs Dolphin a little bit better because of the way Nvidia has their drivers coded on OSX.

What CPU model do you have, specifically? It can impact whether or not you can see more speed on windows

I have a Haswell 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7(4960HQ) which has a max turbo freq of 3.8 Ghz
That is one of the best laptop CPUs possible (behind the i7-4900MQ and 4930MX).
Yeah, you shouldn't be seeing any hiccups using Windows. I don't, and I have an i7-4700MQ
Quote:Aside from increasing the internal resolution to 2x native with 16x Anisotropic filtering
Btw , That i7 is BGA type (CPU is soldered on mobo) . It's equipped with Intel HD Iris Pro 5200 which is almost on par with a fast dedicated GPU such as Nvidia GT 650M .
2xIR is too low . I recommend 2.5x or 3x (in most games) or even 4xIR (in some light-weight games) , no AA , 16xAF
Using the new benchmark win7 was 9.8% faster than OSX on my machine.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...#pid311028
Post 205.

Mind this is OpenGL, DX11 is faster in many cases.

Other than that, go with admin89's advice Smile
Good, someone with definitive proof Smile

@cluthz: OpenGL has been the fastest backend for a while due to the Vertex Streaming Hack and then the OpenGL 4.4 extension speed increases.