Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do SD cards work with Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I seemed to have lost my Nintendo Wii 2 GB SD card a long time ago, I am wondering how I can get Super Smash Bros. Brawl to read my "private" folder (replays, pictures and custom stages) without using an SD card. Can I just have the folder somewhere on my hard drive and have Dolphin read it from that specified directory? Or will I have to insert an SD card in order for Brawl to pick up any of my custom stages, pictures and replays? I have tried inserting my 4GB SDHC card, but Brawl didn't seem to have recognized it.
Dolphin uses a virtual SD card, find the SD.raw in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii and open it with an image mounting software. There you can copy your SD card's stuff onto that, and it'll find it after you save.
(02-06-2014, 11:14 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin uses a virtual SD card, find the SD.raw in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Wii and open it with an image mounting software. There you can copy your SD card's stuff onto that, and it'll find it after you save.

I see. Could you recommend me an image mounting software to use to do this? And how might I use it in order to put my 'private' folder onto the SD.raw. Also, I tried to open the SD.raw file, but it opens in Winamp; it is seen as an audio file or such, apparently.
WinImage let you edit SD.raw and add content, however it's shareware...
(02-06-2014, 04:29 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]WinImage let you edit SD.raw and add content, however it's shareware...

I see, thank you.

Now, I have absolutely /no/ idea how to go about using this, how to put my 'private' folder in this SD.raw using this program so that Brawl will load all my stuff. I tried it by injecting the 'private' folder, and then I saved it. But Brawl didn't recognize any SD card inserted... Also, the SD.raw file is a "Headerless RAW Waveform" - is that normal?
(02-07-2014, 08:23 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]I tried it by injecting the 'private' folder, and then I saved it. But Brawl didn't recognize any SD card inserted...

Did you enable SD Card in Dolphin => Config => Wii? Also, from SD Card SSBB will read only saved replays/screenshots and custom stages. If you want to transfer your save file then you'll need to do it on your Wii using a homebrew app (Savegame Manager GX can do it) because Brawl is a copy-protected save, so in Wii Menu it won't let you copy it to SD...

(02-07-2014, 08:23 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]Also, the SD.raw file is a "Headerless RAW Waveform" - is that normal?

raw files are just raw files -- they can have any kind of content, pictures, sounds, etc. You're seeing this description probably because you have Winamp installed, that register raw files with that description...
(02-07-2014, 03:23 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Did you enable SD Card in Dolphin => Config => Wii?

That did it. Thanks! But now, when I go to the Vault, it at least recognizes and SD card present, however, it is empty. I injected all my folders/directories/files properly into the .raw using WinImage. What's the deal here now?

(02-07-2014, 03:23 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Also, from SD Card SSBB will read only saved replays/screenshots and custom stages. If you want to transfer your save file then you'll need to do it on your Wii using a homebrew app (Savegame Manager GX can do it) because Brawl is a copy-protected save, so in Wii Menu it won't let you copy it to SD...

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. I most likely won't be resorting to that, though. I just at least want to have my replays, stages and photos.

(02-07-2014, 03:23 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2014, 08:23 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]Also, the SD.raw file is a "Headerless RAW Waveform" - is that normal?

raw files are just raw files -- they can have any kind of content, pictures, sounds, etc. You're seeing this description probably because you have Winamp installed, that register raw files with that description...

I gotcha. This is pretty much what I had also figured. I just wasn't too sure. I'm totally new to the .raw files ever since I made this topic, so yeah.