Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: theoretical pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking about putting a desktop together with these components and was wondering if it would be able to handle dolphin at a decent speed. The pc is going o have...

Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad 3.0GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Ram: 16GB DDR3 Dual Channel (4x4GB)
Graphics: Geforce GT620 1GB

Going to be running Windows 7, However I may downgrade it to Windows XP.

I am no good when it comes to Emulation and all that sorts but I know the GPU for dolphin doesn't matter that much and that the CPU is the one thing you wan't to be good, and I think this one would do really good.

Thanks for all your guys help.
It will be good as long as it is a good (and pretty recomended) model.

And, unless you´re going use extremely old builds, DON´T plan to downgrade to XP.

You´ll have to specify the mobo model, too.
(02-04-2014, 09:29 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]It will be good as long as it is a good (and pretty recomended) model.

And, unless you´re going use extremely old builds, DON´T plan to downgrade to XP.

You´ll have to specify the mobo model, too.

Don't have the mobo model number, I looked at a mobo that would work with all of this so I didn't catch it. (I could switch to an intel one that would work with all this and post that instead) So about the processor, is it any good?
I´ll need the model number so I can tell you (ex: i7-3xxxK, i7-4xxxK). Normally, people here recommend any Z87 mobo.

Model numbers ending in K means they´re overclockable, a pretty god thing to get better performance. Smile

Qaazavaca Qaanic

i7 has next to no performance advantage in Dolphin over i5 (at the same clock rate). Better to get a i5-4670K (expensive but fast, and cheaper than i7-4770k). The i54670k is discounted right now to the point where it's the same price as the i5-3570k.
On the other hand, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge are both slower than Haswell by the same amount, and similar to each other. The 2500K is cheaper though, but somewhat outdated. The 3570K is what I have because I got my computer a year ago.
Don't get i7 unless you want higher clock without overclocking. If you're overclocking, there's no reason to get i7. In fact, Hyper-Threading can potentially hurt Dolphin performance slightly.
But if you want better performance on other things that do benefit from Hyper-Threading, get an i7.

If anyone wants to make corrections, go ahead.
HD4600>=GT620 Get something better or get nothing at all.
I'd go with 2x8GB or if you feel lucky 2x4GB then grab another pair if prices go down (not looking good with DDR4 production starting though).
OP we still need to know what motherboar and cpu you're referring to. Your descriptions are too vague and could refer to any one of hundreds of different models made over the last 5 years.

And I agree a GT 620 is way too slow.