Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DirectX on Windows vs OpenGL on Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What gets better performance/ what are the differences between the two on the same hardware?
OpenGL is generally faster on Windows now than Direct3D11. I would assume that OpenGL on Linux generally performs at the same level of Windows or better (there is the notion out there that Nvidia spends a good amount of time and effort into making sure it's Linux driver performance is good). Again, this is all broadly speaking, there are some cases (see below) where OpenGL isn't faster than Direct3D11. I can't speak for AMD or Intel as it concerns Dolphin performance, however.

To be fair, we've yet to do a benchmark quantifying any hard data, so we're just eyeballing things at the moment and going by experience. Personally, OpenGL performance has never been an issue on Linux, except when it comes to EFB2RAM. EFB2RAM seems to negatively affect OpenGL performance, and on certain games it's quite noticeable (Metroid Prime, New Super Mario Bros. Wii). Direct3D11 (and 9) don't suffer the same performance loss as OpenGL from what I've heard.
I say this because when I run any gamecube games with OpenGL it runs like crap on my NVIDIA GeForce 760 4gb but with DirectX it runs fine. I did notice OpenGL has fancy AAs like QSAA and CSAA but it degrades performance futher.
You should see better performance using a 760 on OpenGL.
Using 4.0.2, under Graphics > Hacks, turn on Vertex Streaming Hack (only for OpenGL)
Using the latest dev builds, there are new speedups for OpenGL
(02-02-2014, 01:49 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Using the latest dev builds, there are new speedups for OpenGL
...only if you're using the latest nVidia drivers
I thought AMD's pinned memory or whatever was enabled in the latest builds. Is this not the case? I didn't follow that too closely, having Nvidia hardware myself :p
AMD´s pinned memory? Does that mean a possible speedup for AMD GPU users?

How can I know if an extension is supported by my GPU in Dolphin.
(02-02-2014, 12:42 PM)1zacster Wrote: [ -> ]I say this because when I run any gamecube games with OpenGL it runs like crap on my NVIDIA GeForce 760 4gb but with DirectX it runs fine. I did notice OpenGL has fancy AAs like QSAA and CSAA but it degrades performance futher.

Is there a reason you'd wanna use OpenGL more than DirectX since you tried both?
A 760 GTX is a powerful card so it's a bit strange that it underperforms in OpenGL.