Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does DSP LLE on separate thread actually benefit anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I found out that not only does this option make certain games like mario galaxy crash but it actually causes more stuttering with it on than with it off. Dolphin seems to be faster and more effecient sticking to dual core rather than trying to utilize a third core for the DSP. Does anyone else experience this?
DSP LLE on thread used to be awesome. Back before New-AX-HLE, hundreds of games had major issues and nearly all games had minor issues with DSP HLE, so DSP LLE was the only solution for good audio. DSP LLE on thread helped greatly with LLE's power demands and helped make a lot of games much more playable. Sure a small percentage of games (zelda ucode) had problems with it, but it helped the majority (AX ucode). I pretty much had it on constantly.

Nowadays though, it's not that great. New-AX-HLE means HLE is just fine for all AX games. The only remaining games that could benefit are the zelda ucode games, which tend to have random crashing issues with LLE on thread. DSP LLE on thread's glory days are well behind us.

For what little it is worth, if you are running a game in AX you can still use DSP LLE on Separate Thread with no side effects. But the list of games with problems with New-AX-HLE can be counted on one hand, and all of those problems are very minor... so there really isn't much point.
My personal testing has shown DSP LLE On Thread to be a net loss for performance. It seems like most (if not all) people experience this. Someone in #dolphin-emu or #dolphin-dev mentioned that they first started noticing it after the migration to Visual Studio 2013, which is the best reference point that I have at the moment.

If it's not providing a benefit, just disable it.

*EDIT: Take this with a huge grain of salt. It's entirely possible that something else "broke" DSP LLE On Thread's performance gain.
Yeah I do believe back in the 3.5 days, LLE on thread does provide a performance boost. And then AX HLE was also added to DSP on thread and then taken out and it's back to only LLE on thread. I believe something might've broken it during those times.
What Kodiack said is right, it was definitely VS2013 that did it in. There just isn't an issue report or proper testing for it yet.
Finally Smile
Wondrous! Now I just need to get a processor with more cores.
(04-15-2014, 10:06 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Wondrous! Now I just need to get a processor with more cores.

Your probably better off without LLE lol, but with it fixed and all, isnt this still going to cause some crashes on Zelda ucode games (I mean, you get crashes sometimes no matter what you do unless you can do it on one thread)?
It doesn't crash in Mario Galaxy anymore, at least not for me
Pages: 1 2 3