Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why does my dolphin crashes after doing this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

D.I.

I started to play the Resident Evil remake yesterday and saved a couple of states and it was working perfectly but when I tried to play today when I load any of the states it loads but then after 1 sec or 2 the dolphin crashes and it says the error is appcrash and idk why cause I played resident evil 0 using savestates and finished the game with no problem but with this one I'm having this problem and I tried with the 4.0 version but it doesnt even loads it crashes inmediately after I choose any state idk what to do I really wanna finish this game but without saving states it would be too hard for me cause I dont have too much time to play and sometimes I have to stop playing in the middle of a boss fight cause I got to do anything else and without the saving states it would take me like a year to finish the game.
Using saves states pretty much sums up your issue. Sometimes they're very good and very reliable. But when they screw up, they screw up in a big way. The only thing I can think of is to try to increase the stability of Dolphin by disabling Dual Core and enabling Sync GPU Thread (right-click the game in Dolphin, go to Properties). Other than that, there isn't much you can do. When save states do become unstable, it's pretty random.

The only real solution is to just find the time to play these games properly (like on the weekend). It may be of interest to you to look into cheats. They'd make the game a little bit easier (and quicker to finish) but the game could still be enjoyable if you select them wisely to maintain some difficulty (i.e. give yourself infinite ammo but not unlimited health).
Quote:Using saves states pretty much sums up your issue.
Idk where you've been, but save states haven't caused crashes like this since mid 3.0 revisions. Occasionally they will still randomly crash on loading (<1% of the time), but the problem is in loading. The save states are just fine, and restarting dolphin and loading it again will always work.

The real problem is that he's using a horribly old build, where this was true.

OP, using a less ancient version will fix the problem. You'll need to start over to do that though, unless you have saved using the in game save function.

source: I use save states by the hundreds of thousands.
Also savestates don't transfer between versions well. (usually don't at all.)
RachelB Wrote:Idk where you've been, but save states haven't caused crashes like this since mid 3.0 revisions. Occasionally they will still randomly crash on loading (<1% of the time), but the problem is in loading. The save states are just fine, and restarting dolphin and loading it again will always work.

Idk what you've been doing, but I can still get them to crash on 4.0. Restarting Dolphin has never worked for me either. I make it a specific point when talking about save states to say they're very reliable, but they can still crash. As I said, it's rare, but it still happens.
What game? Can you provide such a save state? I've not seen it a single time since the more-save-fixes branch from 2 years ago, and i rarely go more than a few frames without making a new save state.
If you have Xenoblade Chronicles, I'll try and give you a save state that crashes. The thing is, once I see I save state crashes (which is rare like I said), I overwrite it. It's only happened twice in my 42 hours of playing this game, so be prepared for a long wait.

EDIT - Actually, one of my oldest 4.0 save states in XBC instantly crashed Dolphin upon loading. This was made some 20 hours of gameplay from where I'm at now. I'll see if I can play for a few hours tonight and see if reloading a save state after progressing a lot has any effect.

D.I.

(01-30-2014, 08:24 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Also savestates don't transfer between versions well. (usually don't at all.)
damn so I'd have to try with the 4.0 and restart the game cause I saved at the start of the game the other progress I made I saved it in states so its the same if I restart the game or load the save I made thats exactly what I didnt want to do https://forumhttps://forums.dolphin-emu.org/images/smilies/angry.gifs
(01-31-2014, 03:08 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If you have Xenoblade Chronicles, I'll try and give you a save state that crashes.

I have every game.
My previous edit was a bit premature. The save state crashed twice in a row yesterday, but runs fine today. I'll give you a save state that consistently crashes for me to avoid "user error" on my part. Like I said, save states have crashed on me before on 4.0 in XBC, but it's rare enough that you're going to be in for a long wait.

In the meantime, if you happen to be curious and want to see one way to consistently hang XBC when loading save states, just try loading any save state made under the JIT or JITIL recompilers with the CPU emulated using the Interpreter. For whatever reason, Interpreter-made save states load fine under any method of CPU emulation. Also, every other game I tested loaded JIT/IL-made save just fine when using the Interpreter, but not XBC; this game was the sole exception. I get that JIT/IL has a lot more complex components to deal with, but I get the feeling the CPU emulator engine shouldn't normally make a difference when loading or saving states since most games are okay with it. This is just a side observation (a fluke of discovery really) in case its of any interest to you. And to be sure, Dolphin definitely hangs; I loaded the save state of a cutscene, and in all of 15 minutes, it hadn't progressed, even though Dolphin reported 3 FPS.
Pages: 1 2