Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Prime (GC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone with Metroid Prime test the intro cutscene with OpenGL on the latest dev version and tell me if it slows down once Samus' ship first appears? I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only one with this slowdown and if it has anything to do with buffer_storage not working.
It's always done that for me in every backend.
That's because your CPU is too weak. On my 4770K haswell, I get full speed in that cutscene with D3D and OpenGL w/ VSH.
(01-28-2014, 01:35 PM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]That's because your CPU is too weak. On my 4770K haswell, I get full speed in that cutscene with D3D and OpenGL w/ VSH.

Yeah, no it's not. All he has to do is overclock it. Haswell has never been a requirement to run this game fullspeed (we've been doing that comfortably since Sandy Bridge). The major slowdowns in MP are probably due to EFB2RAM, especially since LLE audio is no longer necessary. A lot of people who have played MP1 will tell you that it's always slowed down for them during the intro (even overclockers), so it's not as if it can't happen even with hardware similar to yours.
Ok, I guess I better rephrase it. For those that are able to achieve full speed in the first cutscene of Metroid Prime in the past with OpenGL with VSH, are you guys also getting full speed in that cutscene with the latest dev builds or do yours slow down as well since the removal of VSH?
I am really getting annoyed at all the threads you are making about this drhycodan. Seriously, why couldn't you have posted this to one of the THREE other threads that you have been posting about this for the past few days? Not to mention the two that were closed. You really need to stop this habitual making of new threads for the same topic.

Buuut Shonumi is the boss and he let it slide so, pfft, I guess it's four now. If he doesn't have a problem with it than I certainly won't smack you for it. So I guess it's up to him now. When five and six come along, if Shonumi cares he can do something about it. *washes hands*

Anyway on my 3570K at 4.7ghz, that spot slows down (admittedly I haven't tried in some time). You are going to have a very hard time finding someone that doesn't slow down in that spot. Also, this game is very GPU thread taxing, and that is related to the IR you are running at. Yes, higher IRs actually increase CPU usage for prime games, bizzare as it may sound. So again, testing something like the VSH is very hard in a prime game.
Oh noes, group think Sad Well, I'm letting it slide because I'm unseasonably busy at work this time of year (I usually get 1 or 2 days called off every week in January) but now I'm basically working full-time hours (even though I'm not full-time) which means I don't have a lot of time for Dolphin forum activity (hah, forget about actually playing Dolphin). Any one in Forum Staff can make decisions to close multiple threads though, and given how many drhycodan has, it would not raise any objections from me.

So let me at least be clear on this, no more threads about VSH/buffer storage drhycodan. You're not going to get any more help any faster. This one is fine, but no one can reasonably respond to a problem split across 3 or 4 different discussions. Use the discussions you currently have open.

More on-topic, which revisions have you used and gotten fullspeed on the intro? Specific revisions help for recreateability.
Every revision that still has the VSH I've gotten fullspeed with it on. Also look here https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/so...2b79ebad3c
A user named Autor also has the exact problem I do, and he is also on a GTX 780. You don't hear much of this because not many people I'm guessing own a GTX 780.
drhycodan: there is one way to tell for sure if you have ARB_buffer_storage working. The dolphin logs show if an extension is not detected. It has notices for DualSourceBlend, UniformBuffer, PrimitiveRestart, EarlyZ, PinnedMemory, ShaderCache, BaseVertex, BufferStorage, Sync, CSAA, and SSAA.

So, start Dolphin, and go to View > Show Log Configuration. Make sure it's on "Warning", write to file is checked, and all log types are checked. Then just run a game with OpenGL. When you are done, attach the resulting dolphin.log file here. Me or someone else who can read the logs will explain what it means.
Here you go
Pages: 1 2