Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop vs Desktop for Xenoblade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Desktop:
Q9550 @ 3.7ghz
GTX 295
4gb RAM

Laptop:
i7 2670QM, stock
GT555m
4gb RAM

Currently testing Xenoblade on my desktop, drops to 45fps on the title screen when running LLE audio (HLE is popping and delayed). Might my laptop run it better?

I know it sounds lazy, but I'd like to know if I should set time aside when I get home tonight setting up my laptop to work with dolphin, transferring ROM files, etc.

Thanks
At stock speeds, the 2670QM is faster. However, your overclock may help get faster speeds.
Try it out and see what works better
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like there's a chance my laptop could run Xenoblade @ 60 fps with LLE audio. I will give it a try.
Quote:Sounds like there's a chance my laptop could run Xenoblade @ 60 fps with LLE audio
It won't happen though . Xenoblade is a 25(PAL) / 30(NTSC) game which mean either 25 or 30 FPS is full speed
Sorry but your CPU can't even handle 30 FPS all the time with LLE , let alone 60 FPS
Your GTX 295, while a beast of a card, only supports D3D 10 and OpenGL 3.something. You won't be able to get all the fun new speed-up features from OpenGL 4.4.

Go into the game on the Q9550 and see how it actually plays. It probably won't be fullspeed, but close (probably like 25 NTSC/20 PAL fps)
30fps is the NTSC max for smooth gameplay? It seemed like @ 45 fps the game was running in slow motion through the menus, while 60fps (achieved in HLE) was smooth.
60FPS (50FPS PAL version) is only in the main menu . 25 / 30 FPS is in gameplay
I guess you haven't played the game yet
(01-28-2014, 04:10 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]60FPS (50FPS PAL version) is only in the main menu . 25 / 30 FPS is in gameplay
I guess you haven't played the game yet

No I just got everything running last night, I'm new to Dolphin. I'll keep working with my desktop tonight. I appreciate the help.
Just use the latest Dolphin (Dolphin 4.0-720 atm)
We no longer need to use LLE in a lot of games like before because Dolphin has the new AX HLE which is much better than the old HLE .
Stick with HLE , you will be fine . You could use LLE if you had a powerful CPU such as i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (OCed)
(01-28-2014, 05:35 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Just use the latest Dolphin (Dolphin 4.0-720 atm)
We no longer need to use LLE in a lot of games like before because Dolphin has the new AX HLE which is much better than the old HLE .
Stick with HLE , you will be fine . You could use LLE if you had a powerful CPU such as i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (OCed)

Thanks for the tip, the latest Dolphin build has been working great for me so far. The sound his a minor 300ms delay, but I haven't noticed it outside of menus. Surprisingly I run it consistently at 29/30 fps on my desktop once I set texture caching to "fast" instead of "safe". When "safe", my fps was around 26.
Pages: 1 2