Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help running wind waker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

irwin96

Heh, so I'm trying to play wind waker (like everyone else on this forum it seems). Trouble is I'm not sure if my computer can handle it, a lot of the time the FPS is <10. I have a MacBook Pro, mid 2010 model so it's kinda old, but I was thinking it should be fine:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software: OS X 10.9.1

I looked under the CPU hierarchy and mine falls under the "Moderate" category. It says "These cpus run most games at fullspeed with HLE audio if they are heavily overclocked. But at stock speeds they may have have trouble." I haven't over clocked it, should I? I was thinking my graphics card was the problem though, I know these macs aren't built with gaming in mind.
If you think my computer's alright though, how do you recommend I configure my settings for the best performance? I followed the performance guide, but to no avail.
Thanks, i really appreciate any help/advice you can give.
You either have the P8600 or the T8300 Intel CPU. Both are from 2008 (5ish years old), which means in computer terms that it's old.
Dolphin relies on single-core CPU speeds more than the GPU, so you're most likely hitting a CPU bottleneck.

Try one of the latest dev builds (current is 4.0-717). It has some speed advantages over 4.0 stable.

Also look into Bootcamp to get Windows/Linux on your Mac. The Nvidia drivers for OSX aren't as good as the Windows or Linux drivers are, so you could see some speed improvements using Windows or Linux.

You will probably want to start looking for some new hardware, though. Intel Haswell CPUs are the current best for Dolphin, but if you can wait for Broadwell, they promise even more speed
On that cpu there is no hope of running WW at fullspeed except on very old builds.
Quote: on very old builds

Which are not supported.