Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help with upgrades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

kuli50

I wanted to upgrade the following parts since no games run well at all with the current setup

Cpu: Amd A4-5300 Trinity 3.4Ghz.... lol i know
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-D3H

Since I have a FM2 motherboard I can't get the latest kaveri apu, I was thinking of getting a Intel Pentium 3220 with a inexpensive Z87 mobo like the Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H and upgrade to a i5/i7 in the future when I can afford it but with this setup Ill have to get a discrete gpu right?
Haswell CPUs are the best for Dolphin. A G3220 and a Z87 mobo is a good way to get started.
If you have a little extra money to spend right now, opt in for an i3 4330, and then save up for an i5 4670k or an i7 4770k (only difference is if you want hyper-threading)

The G3220 has Intel HD graphics built in (as do the i3/i5/i7). You will need one eventually, but you wont need one just yet, as you will be able to play Dolphin with some enhancements
kuli50 Wrote:but with this setup Ill have to get a discrete gpu right?

Yes. I would recommend this plan though.

KHg8m3r Wrote:The G3220 has Intel HD graphics built in (as do the i3/i5/i7), so you wont need a dedicated graphics card just yet, as you will be able to play Dolphin with some enhancements

Please keep in mind that the Intel HD GT1 is MUCH slower than the other Intel IGPs like the HD 4600 (GT3). It's probably going to struggle with some games even at 1x IR with no enhancements.

kuli50

(01-27-2014, 06:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
kuli50 Wrote:but with this setup Ill have to get a discrete gpu right?

Yes. I would recommend this plan though.

KHg8m3r Wrote:The G3220 has Intel HD graphics built in (as do the i3/i5/i7), so you wont need a dedicated graphics card just yet, as you will be able to play Dolphin with some enhancements

Please keep in mind that the Intel HD GT1 is MUCH slower than the other Intel IGPs like the HD 4600 (GT3). It's probably going to struggle with some games even at 1x IR with no enhancements.

what's a good gpu for dolphin under $100
Radeon R7 250.
An Nvidia GTX 650 is like $30 more (on Newegg), and is stronger in terms of memory bandwidth (needed for higher resolutions), and texture fill rate/pixel rate
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php...tx-650-1gb
(01-27-2014, 09:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Radeon R7 250.

In radeon HD terms, iirc, this is a 7750, correct? Even if it is a 7670, though, it's still way more than powerful enough.
Yeah, it basically just the update to the 7750
Everyone here knows that I normally recommend nvidia/Intel with a passion. But when it comes to low end cards (<$120) nvidia has not made a truly solid competitor in years. I have no choice but to recommend AMD in this price range because they deliver significantly better performance per dollar in every application. I would recommend the GTX 650, but it's out of his price range.
Yeah, I have a Zotac GT 640 ($80) paired with a Q6600 as a minecraft server that I used to use as my main rig for emulators. I remember it being able to hit 2x or 3x IR depending on the game (using 4.0)
The next step up would be the Zotac GTX 650 ($110)
Pages: 1 2