Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Bad Performance on Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why there are so big performance differences between Windows and Linux?

I saw Videos on youtube whre people play Mario Kart Wii on 1080p.
I still cant play it on the default resolution.

It is unplayable for me. It has framedrops down below 20FPS
I testen New Super Mario Bros. Wii, too and it has very poor performance in some levels.

I use Dolphin 4.0-706 (but tested different versions and always the same problems)

I think a 6 x 3,6GHz CPU and a NVidia GTX560Ti wit current drivers should be more than enough for playing.

Here is a sample for Mario Bros. Wii
http://youtu.be/YtHL383-7n0?t=9m10s
1- You shouldn´t be expecting full speed on a 6-core CPU when an app only uses 2 cores...

2- WHAT processor you have? You aren´t helping at all just by saying the number of cores and the clock speed.
(01-26-2014, 12:56 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]1- You shouldn´t be expecting full speed on a 6-core CPU when an app only uses 2 cores...

2- WHAT processor you have? You aren´t helping at all just by saying the number of cores and the clock speed.

So here the full system Specs

Dolphin: 4.0-706
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T overclocked to 6x 3,6Ghz (and set to full performance if I playing)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
Graphic: NVidia GTX560TI 1GB current driver 331.38
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
HDD: 2x 1TB Sata2 HDD with 7200RPM (2TB BTRFS Raid0)
Tried using latest Dolphin under OGL? Oh wait, Linux only uses OGL... My bad. Tongue

*Gets more serious*

It seems that your CPU is too slow, but check temps just in case since it could be lso overheating.
(01-26-2014, 01:14 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Tried using latest Dolphin under OGL? Oh wait, Linux only uses OGL... My bad. Tongue

*Gets more serious*

It seems that your CPU is too slow, but check temps just in case since it could be lso overheating.

too slow? I see videos of smooth gameplay with a Intel Core™ 2 Duo E7400. This CPU should be slower than mine.
Single core performance has little difference between your CPU and the Intel you mentioned. And Dolphin needs pretty high SCP so it can achieve full speed succesfully.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/471/AMD...E7400.html
PlayX: what driver are you using? Nouveau performance sucks, I would recommend using the latest version of NVIDIA's proprietary drivers.
(01-26-2014, 01:27 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]PlayX: what driver are you using? Nouveau performance sucks, I would recommend using the latest version of NVIDIA's proprietary drivers.

I've said it. But here again. I use the driver 331.38 (the propertery from nvidia)
[Image: Bildschirmfoto_vom_2014_01_25_16_29_50.jpg]
I know that is a 3.5 version. I tested different versions of dolphin.
@PlayX - YouTube videos are terrible sources to judge performance. Unless they tell you their full PC specs, all of their Dolphin settings, and their exact Dolphin revision, there's no way you could reasonably recreate their performance. If the user in the video was using an old Dolphin revision (pre-3.0 for example) that explains most of the problem right there. Older builds on lower end hardware tended to get decent performance. While recent revisions of Dolphin have been speeding up recently, relatively speaking it's more demanding on lower end hardware than old revisions.

As DJBarry thought, your CPU is simply too slow. MKWii is actually somewhat of a demanding game, both on the CPU and GPU (though your GPU should be sufficient most of the time, as long as your Internal Resolution and AA aren't too high).
Your cpu is far too slow for that game even on windows. This is not an issue with dolphin linux builds at all.
Pages: 1 2