Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Twilight Princess (GC) Crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jader13

In both Dolphin R 6800 and Dolphin 4.0, I have on multiple occasions encountered an error at howling stones and whistle grass (or whatever it's called), as many others have, where the emulator crashes and offers the following error: "Error: Trying to compile at 0. LR=802f6aa8". As I have found elsewhere on the internet, disabling Dual-Core and Idle Skipping, while giving even my GTX 650 a run for its money in terms of framerate, has fixed the issue.

However, this is not the reason I am posting this thread. The reason I mentioned that is as follows: after Zelda tells Link to retrieve the Master Sword, and Midna teleports Link and herself to the bridge outside of Hryule Castle Town, the exact same error occurs. At first, I had tried without disabling Idle Skipping and Dual-Core, not expecting a crash to happen at such a crucial point. However, when it happened, I thought it was similar to the howling error, and disabled both options. After loading a save (which was infuriatingly far back), I eventually got to the same spot where the crash occurred and, despite both options being disabled, the crash occurred once more.

Now, I have mostly been playing in R 6800 since I have had both emulation speed errors and rather hilarious but game-breaking glitches in 4.0, so I can't ascertain whether such an error will occur in that version as well, because R 6800 and 4.0 don't share saves (at least to my experience). As such, my config options are sadly limited. Other sources around the internet have said that using "Enable MMU" and "MMU Speed Hack" will fix the error, as well. However, both of these options were pre-selected, and still were doing nothing to solve the issue. Any help would be great, as it's been about 5 years since I last played this and I've been dying to play (and beat) it again.

EDIT: Skipping the cutscene also skipped over the error, but it would definitely still be nice to be able to watch the cutscene.
It's probably just that you have a bad dump of the game. See if the .iso's MD5 hash matches the one on redump.org or gametdb (or, for Wii games, right-click > Properties > Filesystem tab, right-click the game partition and Verify it); if it doesn't match (or verifying says your copy's bad), you'll have to redump the game from the original disc.

Also, 4.0 does have a few known bugs (e.g. one specifically related to single-core mode) which are fixed in 4.0.2. Go try it: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

And, as reading other threads on the forum will make you painfully aware of, any framerate drops you're getting are more the fault of your CPU, not your perfectly-adequate GPU. Dolphin is a highly CPU-bound application – CPU speed determines game speed, while the GPU only really determines how high you can set the resolution/AA without it slowing down. AMD's CPUs in particular are kinda crappy for Dolphin – some Haswell chips at stock clockspeeds (e.g. i3-4130 at 3.4 GHz) are faster for Dolphin than an FX-8350 at 5 GHz (!).

Jader13

(01-26-2014, 04:03 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably just that you have a bad dump of the game. See if the .iso's MD5 hash matches the one on redump.org or gametdb (or, for Wii games, right-click > Properties > Filesystem tab, right-click the game partition and Verify it); if it doesn't match (or verifying says your copy's bad), you'll have to redump the game from the original disc.

Also, 4.0 does have a few known bugs (e.g. one specifically related to single-core mode) which are fixed in 4.0.2. Go try it: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

And, as reading other threads on the forum will make you painfully aware of, any framerate drops you're getting are more the fault of your CPU, not your perfectly-adequate GPU. Dolphin is a highly CPU-bound application – CPU speed determines game speed, while the GPU only really determines how high you can set the resolution/AA without it slowing down. AMD's CPUs in particular are kinda crappy for Dolphin – some Haswell chips at stock clockspeeds (e.g. i3-4130 at 3.4 GHz) are faster for Dolphin than an FX-8350 at 5 GHz (!).

I'll take a look at all that stuff when I get the chance to. Now, if I do get 4.0.2, will it be possible to load the saves from R 6800? I'm 14 hours into the game now, and I reallllly don't feel like starting from the beginning again when I'm not even at the end.
It should load the memory card saves fine as long as you move them to the right spot: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/

As for save states, trash those, they're only compatible with the build they're made in. (And they're pretty problematic regardless.)