Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Trying to Run TLOZ Wind Waker, is my computer good for this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, im a long time reader of the forum ( as a guest ) but first time poster in the forum of Dolphin , so i have some problems regarding the emulation of TOLZ wind waker:
1- First of all i need to know if my computer ( a MacBook Pro with Retina Display late 2013.) is good enough to run wind waker at 45+ fps whitout droping, here are the specs:

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics ( integrated graphics)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M( discrete graphics )
with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)
(Bootcamped with windows 8.1 pro 64 bits, thats where im running dolphin)

2- if my specs are good enough to run wind waker smoothly, can you tell me a configuration that fits the game in order to speed up the things?

You guys are awesome, waiting for your response.
DanAtaD.
Your laptop specs are fine . However , your laptop cooling components can't handle both discrete GPU + high-end CPU at full load since Macbook Pro Retina isn't a gaming laptop but a multi-media one
Make sure you read this guide
i7 4850HQ @ 2.3GHz Turbo Boost :
_3.3GHz (4 cores active)
_3.4GHz (2 cores active)
_3.5GHz (only 1 core)
Zelda WW isn't a GPU intensive game and Intel Iris Pro is almost on par with discrete GT 650M . Therefore , you don't have to enable GT 750M . If you enable it , your laptop will run really hot (inside , not outside . Use Realtemp to check) .
(01-25-2014, 02:33 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your laptop specs are fine . However , your laptop cooling components can't handle both discrete GPU + high-end CPU at full load since Macbook Pro Retina isn't a gaming laptop but a multi-media one
Make sure you read this guide
i7 4850HQ @ 2.3GHz Turbo Boost :
_3.3GHz (4 cores active)
_3.4GHz (2 cores active)
_3.5GHz (only 1 core)
Zelda WW isn't a GPU intensive game and Intel Iris Pro is almost on par with discrete GT 650M . Therefore , you don't have to enable GT 750M . If you enable it , your laptop will run really hot (inside , not outside . Use Realtemp to check) .

ok, i see, but the problem is that when running bootcamp, the newer haswell macbooks cannot install windows in EFI mode, only in bios, thanks to that im only able to use my discrete graphics when running windows.
Also i think this macbook pro can handle the overheating ( i dont have idea about this actually, its just that when i bought it, it said that is was a high performance macbook pro)

so what you recommend its to download Throttlestop 6.0 and turboboost my cpu to 3.3 ghz?
also ive been doing some research and people with less specs than my computer are able to run TLOZ ww at 45+ and im only able to run it at 30 fps (until i hit a battle, then it goes down to 24-25fps
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Quote:it said that is was a high performance macbook pro
High performance = high CPU + GPU performance . That has nothing to do with cooling unit
A mainstream multimedia laptop has an i5 CPU (37W) + low-mid range GPU such as GT 730M (33W) . Total power consumption of both GPU and CPU = 37+33 = 70W . That multimedia laptop run really hot with Dolphin (80+ degree celsius , both CPU and GPU are at full load)
i7 4850HQ : 47W ; GT 750M : 50W -> Total power consumption of both GPU and CPU = 47+50 = 97W
More power consumption = More heat . Macbook Pro Retina has thin form factor , there isn't much space to dissipate the heat ...Why most gaming notebooks are really bunky and thick . The answer is simple , they have to be like that to handle the heat
If your laptop overheat , CPU and GPU will be underclocked automaticallly -> Reduce performance . Usually , overheating occur after running Dolphin for 5->15mins
(01-25-2014, 03:22 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:it said that is was a high performance macbook pro
High performance = high CPU + GPU performance . That has nothing to do with cooling unit
A mainstream multimedia laptop has an i5 CPU (37W) + low-mid range GPU such as GT 730M (33W) . Total power consumption of both GPU and CPU = 37+33 = 70W . That multimedia laptop run really hot with Dolphin (80+ degree celsius , both CPU and GPU are at full load)
i7 4850HQ : 47W ; GT 750M : 50W -> Total power consumption of both GPU and CPU = 47+50 = 97W
More power consumption = More heat . Macbook Pro Retina has thin form factor , there isn't much space to dissipate the heat ...Why most gaming notebooks are really bunky and thick . The answer is simple , they have to be like that to handle the heat
If your laptop overheat , CPU and GPU will be underclocked automaticallly -> Reduce performance . Usually , overheating occur after running Dolphin for 5->15mins

so do you propose to run dolphin with the Iris Pro graphics?
Wind Waker normally runs at 30 fps on a real console, so you're running it at full speed most of the time. It's just slowing down in battles.

Wind Waker uses EFB to RAM by default, which isn't really necessary aside from when using the Picto Box and slows the game down a good bit. You can get around this by right-clicking it in the game list, clicking Properties, then clicking the Edit Config button in the lower-left and pasting these lines in:

[Video_Hacks]
EFBAccessEnable = True
EFBToTextureEnable = True
EFBCopyEnable = True