Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windows 8.1 Config Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Infinight

Hello I have been tinkering with Dolphin for awhile now and I really need help. I'm trying to run the emulator at a decent FPS rate but I don't know what I need to do or if my system is just too slow. Please excuse me if this question is redundant but I don't have a great understanding of emulators and I rarely use forums so navigating this is a pain

I'm trying to run Fire Emblem POR for the GC and the FPS is terrible around 15-20 FPS w/ roughly 35% game speed.

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you can automatically see my comp specs so there below.

AMD E1-1500 APU with Radeon Graphics 1.48 Ghz

6 GB Ram

64 Bit Windows 8.1

I hope this computer is capable of running this game I just got the computer. I'd expect that much RAM the speed would be decent at the least. Any help is appreciated thanks!
That CPU is not looking good, AMD chips are second compared to 4th gen Intels in single threaded performance. Dolphin likes i5xxxx or i7xxxx series, especially the ones that are capable of overclocking. What version of Dolphin are you using? You may want to try older builds but keep in mind that you will not get support for these builds in the forums.
1- As cyrax said, your APU is too weak. Actually, all the existing APUs are weak.

2- @cyrax: He has Dolphin 4.0; never forget to look into the profiles. Tongue

3- Have you tried using any recent build under OpenGL?
It's not just the fact that you have an AMD cpu which are generally weaker than comparable Intel cpus for dolphin. It's the fact that you have a (no offense) god awful netbook cpu designed to sacrifice performance for low cost, heat, size, and power consumption. The E1-1500 APU is a 1.48GHz dual core bobcat core cpu. Most modern laptops have cpus that are at least 4-8 times as fast. It does not matter what build you use you are not going to be able to achieve playable performance in dolphin with any game on that cpu. It's just way too slow.

For reference DJBarrys A6 1450 cpu is actually a newer faster version of the cpu you have now and he can tell you all about how slow it is with dolphin.

Infinight Wrote:I'd expect that much RAM the speed would be decent at the least.

Why would having more ram speed up dolphin at all?

Infinight

Thanks for the help I kinda figured it was too slow. Sorry for the late reply was having trouble. Thanks again!