Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimal Specs and Setup for Full Speed (even in Hyule Field) - Twilight Princess (GC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ComedyCurtis

Hi guys, new to this so sorry if this should be in Support. Let me know and I'll relocate. Sorry!

The actual query:

I was just curious (based on my specs) whether or not I even have the capcity to run Hyule Field at a high 25-30fps in Twilight Princess (GC)? I've seen people here with an overclock capability higher than mine who cannot, but I was under the impression most of my other hardware capabilities should be sufficient.

Is the issue purely down to a lack of overclocking or a good enough processor to be able to reach the magic 30fps?

If anyone has any tips for getting the fps as high as possible in this area for me I would appreciate some insight. I'm using the latest version of dolphin (4.0.2) and when I use HLE the slowdown is there in Hyrule Field but it is relatively smooth. When I use LLE the slowdown is there but it is consistantly choppy (audio/video stutter). The rest of the game is pretty flawless so far, i'm about 70% through.

Let me know if you need any more info from me. Dolphin settings are prety safe, 1x AA, 16x AF, dual core enabled, idle skipping enabled, framelimit: audio, internal resolution: auto (1080p) etc, other settings general set for speedup unless experimental but 1080p display is important for me.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Processor/CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Overclocked up to 4.1 Ghz
Video Card/GPU: 1GB AMD RadeonHD 6870
Memory/RAM: 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel

Thanks in advance!

Reason for thread, feel free to ignore:

I posted this in a twilight princess thread but thought this could do with it's own as there isn't a consolidated address of the Hyrule Field issue and minumum spec requirements online anywhere (that I have found) and as this tends to be the most demanding areas OF ALL TIME (over-acting) it would be a good benchmark for people to go by who are interested in having minimal fuss with running games on Dolphin. Whittling down or up minimal specs could define an overall optimal setup for full dolphin hardware compatability.
There are abundant threads regarding this slowdown in TP, I've came across different solutions with various settings, Dolphin revisions, gfx backends, etc. and haven't been able to find a definitive answer. My guess is for this particular part of the game I'd suggest using various solutions provided as this has been a known issue since and it seems to have not been remedied as of yet, even if you have the greatest CPU from what I've read. I've heard people getting a fluctuating 25+ fps throughout this portion (I personally haven't played the game to see this) but I'm guessing there is no full 30 solid fps solution at the moment, heck much if and when the developers attends to this matter who knows. If there is such a remedy (Dolphin vers, backend, speed hacks, etc.) then someone do tell.
30 fps can be achieved on an overclock i5 4670K on an older build using HLE audio. They've removed the ZTP hack from the latest builds for god knows why so you're pretty much screwed unless you use an older build.

ComedyCurtis

Thanks for the responses guys. Dolphin as a whole is increibly awesome and I love what the developers have been able to do so it's not like I'm complaining. Just a bit anal when it comes to things like this and want everything as perfect as possible. If that's the best it's gonna be then that's good enough for me.
Isn't someone working on a new patch for this in place of the ZTP hack? I'm sure something will be done about this because at this rate, we'll have to wait at least 8 years before anyone can play TP full speed in hyrule field.
I hope your right about this drhycodan

ComedyCurtis

Likewise!
Hmm...I suppose if a 30fps patch was developed for the pal version of Xenoblade Chronicles to remedy slowdowns, woudn't it be possible to develop one similar to Twilight Princess? Or would such a patch would be totally impossible for this game?
What patch are you referring to?