Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii games running much slower than GC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I am running GC games on Dolphin, I'm running at about 60 FPS -- always easily above 30 FPS. I've tried 2 Wii games that are rated 4 stars on the compatibility chart (Dora and Diego). I can't get either to run any higher than 22 FPS. No matter how I change the settings, it is still running super slow. Before I spend my time dumping more Wii games, I'd like to know if its the games or my system or what? I feel like I have a pretty good system for this.

Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD FX-6300
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870
Memory/RAM: 16GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4

Any input would be great. Thanks!
Your cpu is too slow. Post your settings and we'll see if there are any speedups left
How can it be too slow? It's in Category 2 of the CPU Hierarchy "very fast"

Not really sure the best way to post my settings, so I'll just list them?

Enable Dual Core - yes
Enable Idle Skipping - yes

JIT Recompiler

DSP HLE

Direct3D11

Fullscreen Resolution 1920x1080
Force 16:9
Use Fullscreen

Internal Resolution - Auto
Anti-Alaising - None
Anistropic Filtering - x1

EFB copies - RAM

Texture Cache - safe (changed, but didn't help)
Extra Frame Buffer - Disabled (changed, but didn't help)

Everything I didn't list was either unchecked or I didn't think was relevant
Too many people not recognizing that the 6300 is much, much slower than the 6350. Because of the minimal price difference, you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage buying a 6300 instead of a 6320 or 6350.

FX processors showing up in category 2 refers to processors like the 9000 series, or processors like the 4350/6350/8350.

EDIT: I swear, someone needs to add something to the CPU hierarchy thread stating that the 6300 is not a good processor.

Let me flesh this out a little bit.

AMD markets their lowofthelow FX Visheras as if they're almost on-par with their bestoftheseries processors, so that they can sell them for an incredible markup compared to the usual price reduction for that much loss of power.

the 6300 vs the 6320 and 6350 is like comparing the Radeon HD 5450 to the Radeon HD 5770 and Radeon HD 7850.
That's too bad. I've actually been really happy with the Fx-6300 up until this. I do have FX-8350 on my wish list. If I were to get that, things would run like they should? The difference in turbo between the two is only 0.2GHZ
Unfortunately, in dolphin, there wouldn't be a speedup to get an 8350, actually. Ignore what I said before about the 8350; I've seen things said detailing that it performs horribly in dolphin. But, I know for a fact that the 6350 has better single-core performance and more performance per dollar than the 8350. As is normal with AMD since the Phenom IIs, you don't want to buy the one with the most cores, though you might be able to do the one with the most cores if you want to buy a 9590 and have the space to watercool it, but, last I checked, buying a 9590 and a preassembled watercooling kit is around as much as it costs to buy a 4770k, a good air cooler, and a well-featured motherboard for it.

So I'd say against buying the 8350, especially since the 8320 is the exact same processor, but for a lower price and with a slightly reduced clock rate, so, if you're adamant on buying into the 8-core processors, just get an 8320 and overclock it as hard as you can. Reaches the exact same limits as an 8350, too.

But really, if you're going to go up, go FX->9300 or FX-6350. Or, possibly, even wait for the new architecture that, last I checked, was being released Q3 (or 4?) this year. I've heard rumors of them bringing another jump in single-core performance from the last series (really, you guys need to stop being so hard on AMD for putting more cores in, they're fixing the mistake they made with bulldozer now, and have been since they started on piledriver), so that might be nice.
Thanks for all the info. I don't really feel like building a whole new computer and my motherboard only takes up to 140 watts, so I guess that leave me to the 6350 or one of the 83** or wait fpr something new, but I usually am very budget conscious so new is probably out of the question. Couple more questions..

Why is the 6350 better than the 8350 if the 8350 is actually 0.1GHZ faster per stock core?

And if I OCd my 6300, would that help enough to make Wii games playable?
Most AMD processors have worse performance per clock cycle compared to first, second, third and fourth generation Intel i3, i5 and i7 processors. AMD processors generally have worse single threaded performance than recent Intel offerings and aren't capable of crunching as many instructions per clock cycle. Decent performance is achievable with AMD processors depending on your hardware, the game you intend to play, emulator options and clock speed (try overclocking) but recent Intel processors, Haswell especially are going to be top performers for CPU intensive emulators like Dolphin even at lower clock rates than AMD processors.