Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is game modding supported here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is modding the various games supported here?

I am including all types of mods; everything from a total conversion, to texture, to (what amounts to) configuration changes, to turning the NPCs into chickens. ^^

Thank-you for your time.
Sure. In fact the community encourages you to share your work here.
Heck yes, Dolphin even has a built in Texture injector system (is that the right terminology?) so you can replace ingame textures with different higher def textures.
Thank-you for your expedient reply.

Do you know of any tutorials on specifically how to edit/mod Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask from the Collector's Edition for the Gamecube?

I need to know the programs that people used to add/edit things in the game. I converted the .tgc file that I got from the .iso I burned from my Wii into a .gcm file and then decompiled it into its component files. That produced an .n64 file that I ran through the 1964 N64 Emulator and it worked. However, at this point I am stuck and have no idea what to do as I do not know how to extract that .n64 file into its component files.

Specifically I want to change the music and the textures. The textures I am fairly sure I can already do with a feature that comes with dolphin, but the other I think is coded in the games.

Also, any stability suggestions (I.E. not randomly crashing)?

Computer specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460

8GB of RAM DDR2 800mhz

For me, half the point of PC gaming (which includes using emulators) is to mod the game, but if I cannot accomplish that, then I might as well play those games on the consoles they come on.
(01-16-2014, 12:08 PM)Chuck Finely Wrote: [ -> ]Thank-you for your expedient reply.

Do you know of any tutorials on specifically how to edit/mod Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask from the Collector's Edition for the Gamecube?

I need to know the programs that people used to add/edit things in the game. I converted the .tgc file that I got from the .iso I burned from my Wii into a .gcm file and then decompiled it into its component files. That produced an .n64 file that I ran through the 1964 N64 Emulator and it worked. However, at this point I am stuck and have no idea what to do as I do not know how to extract that .n64 file into its component files.

Specifically I want to change the music and the textures. The textures I am fairly sure I can already do with a feature that comes with dolphin, but the other I think is coded in the games.

Computer specs:

8GB of RAM DDR2 800mhz

For me, half the point of PC gaming (which includes using emulators) is to mod the game, but if I cannot accomplish that, then I might as well play those games on the consoles they come on.
Well, im not entirely sure how to mod n64, so I don't know what to tell you there. Also, whats the clockspeed on that 955? I would recommend overclocking it if possible to run some of the more intensive games on Dolphin. Your GFX card is just fine for Dolphin though ( I have one myself).

Qaazavaca Qaanic

You will no longer be using Dolphin after you get a n64 file. Dolphin collector runs a n64onwii in a wiionpc emulator, which is slower than Project64 etc.
What you're looking for is n64 custom textures (look for a n64 plugin with texture support) and custom music (can't help you with that, I suggest using cheats to disable music, along with external MP3/etc music)
If you just don't extract the rom and play straight in dolphin, you get custom textures out-of-the-box-ish, but still no custom music, as I don't think anyone has modified the emulator to have music (even less likely than a straight ROMhack)
(01-16-2014, 12:27 PM)ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2014, 12:08 PM)Chuck Finely Wrote: [ -> ]Thank-you for your expedient reply.

Computer specs:

8GB of RAM DDR2 800mhz

Well, im not entirely sure how to mod n64, so I don't know what to tell you there. Also, whats the clockspeed on that 955? I would recommend overclocking it if possible to run some of the more intensive games on Dolphin. Your GFX card is just fine for Dolphin though ( I have one myself).

My clock speed is normal, 3.2GHZ. I don't plan on overclocking at this time because I don't have the money to replace it. Though I do plan on either upgrading to an Intel (i5 3570K) or oc my current CPU and buy another one if it breaks (though it is unlikely, especially since I built my computer to run an OC CPU and two GPUs, and the fact that there are 4.0*10˄50 videos and articles on OC...)

@jimbo1qaz

How CAN you extract the ROM? Or in my case .n64?

Also what about Project 64 and Adware, Trojans, Viruses etc.? The reason I decided against that one is because several anti-virus programs said it came with Trojans so what is your guys' experience with it?

And I'm told Nemu64 is the best as far as stability goes regarding .n64, is that true?

Thank-you for your time.
Nemu64 has been dead and obsolete for over a decade. I don't know why the fuck you'd bring that one up. >_>

The current four notable N64 emulators are Project64, mupen64plus, 1964, and cen64.
-Project64's the most-commonly-used one on Windows. It should be perfectly fine as long as you're getting it from here: http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/project64/binaries/
-mupen64plus is the most-commonly-used one on everything that isn't Windows (including Android!). It's CLI-only and a pain to configure, but there are GUIs for it floating around.
-1964 is less ubiquitous than PJ64, but it has its users. I dunno why, I never had a reason to care.
-cen64 is a cycle-accurate (e.g. extremely accurate and slow-as-fuck) work-in-progress emulator that, while nowhere near usable (yet?) for actual gaming, it's my personal favorite since it isn't an extremely inaccurate pile of shitty hacks like all the other N64 emulators are.

As for extracting the game, the cartridges probably don't all use any specific filesystem, so there's no real way to just "unzip" an N64 cartridge dump. (It's possible for DS carts, surprisingly, but not anything older AFAIK.) If you just want the textures, Dolphin and every N64 emulator has texture dumping as a feature, though it'd require you to play through the whole game and see *everything* to get every texture.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Project64 does have adware bundled with its installer. Be very careful, read everything before you click. Once you finish the installer and verified you don't have any malware, you're good to go.
I would love someone to make a custom track editor/maker for F-Zero GX. Oh and some sort of mod that allows online multiplayer would be cool too Big Grin
Pages: 1 2