Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 4.0 - AMD PhenomII - FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone, I just discovered dolphin (well, a few weeks ago, but I only bought the bluetooth adapter on thursday so I only started really playing it, with the wiimote of course, that day).
I'm new to this community, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

First of all,
I saw many configuration videos, and the dolphin official thread about the performance guide, and I tried some graphical settings, but none of them change a bit..

I have 2 .iso files with 2 different games (Just Dance 2014 and Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games).

The problem is that my FPS won't go more than 30. On both games.

On Just Dance 2014 , I can play most of the songs though, some are with graphical issues (and EFB copies set to RAM don't make it clear to me, don't know why).
On Mario and Sonic, it's so hard to play it with the FPS drop, damn..

I'm using Dolphin 4.0 wii speak, since the wii speak is needed to run Just Dance 2014, but I tried once de Dolphin 4.0 and it had the same issues.

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.0Ghz
XFX ATI Radeon HD5750 @ 1GB GDDR5
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR2

Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: I have a laptop with Intel Core i5 2410M , 8GB DDR3 and nVidia GeForce GT520 1GB GDDR3, due to emulations work better on Intel than AMD, would I play better on it?
The i5 2410M is stronger in regards to single-core speeds than the X4 945 at stock speeds.
Try overclocking the X4 945 and see if you can get any higher fps.
Use one of the latest dev builds.

Try this on both computers:
1) Update drivers, Windows updates, DirectX Web updater, and latest version of Visual C++
2) Make sure under Power Management in Windows you're running in High Performance. Also, make sure you have a high performance profile set in Catalyst Control Center/Nvidia Control Center (the drop-down window in Dolphin doesn't always work the best)
3) Use the OpenGL backend on one of the latest dev builds, as it is faster than D3D. The recent addition of buffer_storage on the latest dev build makes OpenGL the fastest backend.
KHg8m3r: AMD GPUs don't support buffer storage yet, so they're still far better off with D3D.
I honestly don´t know why are you still mentioning the DirectX updates since no other versions have been released (lateste available: 11.1. Announced: 11.2.)
(01-13-2014, 09:35 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don´t know why are you still mentioning the DirectX updates since no other versions have been released (lateste available: 11.1. Announced: 11.2.)

Sometimes people may not have the latest build, since their copy of Directx may have come from a disk like a PC game, or other sources. Its always good to be sure sometimes, even if its unlikely.

Also, they play at 30 FPS? Im just curious at what FPS these game run at normally...

Also, if you can OC that Phenom II to 3.4 -3.6, you'll probably get pretty close or get to full speed for Mario/Sonic. I'd try to hit 4.0 GHz or get close to it if you had sufficient cooling for it.
(01-13-2014, 09:55 AM)ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2014, 09:35 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don´t know why are you still mentioning the DirectX updates since no other versions have been released (lateste available: 11.1. Announced: 11.2.)

Sometimes people may not have the latest build, since their copy of Directx may have come from a disk like a PC game, or other sources. Its always good to be sure sometimes, even if its unlikely.

Also, they play at 30 FPS? Im just curious at what FPS these game run at normally...

Also, if you can OC that Phenom II to 3.4 -3.6, you'll probably get pretty close or get to full speed for Mario/Sonic. I'd try to hit 4.0 GHz or get close to it if you had sufficient cooling for it.

It depends. Most games, during gameplay, only run at 30 FPS; while the cinematics run at 60. There are other games, however, that always run either at 30 or 60 FPS; no matter if it´s in a gameplay or a cinematic.
(01-13-2014, 10:12 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]

It depends. Most games, during gameplay, only run at 30 FPS; while the cinematics run at 60. There are other games, however, that always run either at 30 or 60 FPS; no matter if it´s in a gameplay or a cinematic.

Yes, this is why I ask. I think Sonic/mario might run at 30 FPS ingame, but im not entirely sure.
Greetings.

Mario and Sonic at 30 FPS is full playable speed? Cause sometimes in badminton I miss the shot due to slowness, and in audio I can really hear the lags..

I could try to OC my Phenom, although my cooler is the default cooler that comes with it. But I'm not into the subject, so if there's other option, I don't want to risk it.

The problem with the laptop is that my brother always takes it with him.

Atm I'm updating AMD drivers, and windows updates , will tell you something tomorrow.
(01-13-2014, 10:20 AM)ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, this is why I ask. I think Sonic/mario might run at 30 FPS ingame, but im not entirely sure.

The only Mario game I know it runs at half FPS during gameplay (as if it was full speed) is Mario Sunshine.
(01-13-2014, 10:49 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2014, 10:20 AM)ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote: [ -> ]

The only Mario game I know it runs at half FPS during gameplay (as if it was full speed) is Mario Sunshine.

What does that even mean?
Pages: 1 2