Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nvidia G-sync and Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking about buying a g-sync monitor when they become available. I was wondering if there had been any speculation about whether dolphin would function with g-sync. From what I gather g-sync only functions when games are rendering full screen. I'm mostly interested in it working with dolphin because this would potentially allow dolphin to scan 30 fps games at 30 hz (the Zelda games for instance). This should result in a massive reduction in judder. I'm just wondering whether dolphin is actually running at 60 fps when rendering 30 fps games. I can't imagine this has been given much thought since native 30 hz scanning hasn't really been an option since we left CRT technology behind.
As far as I know, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If G-Sync actually works how nvidia is claiming it does, your monitor's refresh rate will just go down to 30 for 30 fps games. No headache, until you look in your wallet. Unless you're rich.

[opinion]I wouldn't buy a G-Sync monitor, though. Spending more money for a gimmick that hardly effects your experience. A proprietary one, in fact, and you know how nvidia loves forcing their customers to never buy an AMD product[/opinion]
Nvidia has led the way to bring us strobing backlights (LightBoost) on monitors, and now they are introducing variable refresh rates (G-Sync) to monitors. These are basically the 2 largest improvements to the way LCD monitors function in the last decade. I'm not sure how you can term either of these as "gimmicks" since they are tangible improvements to the user experience. If it's any consolation variable refresh rates will be part of the display port 1.3 spec which should be approved in a few months. Some time later this year or early next variable refresh rate should be standard on all monitors sold using the display port 1.3 standard. AMD has claimed this should more or less be equivalent to G-Sync, so G-Sync will be essentially available to all within a year.

I'm personally brand agnostic. I'd love for AMD to introduce big improvements to the way monitors function as well. It all trickles down hill which leads to an improvement for everyone in the long run. This is seems unlikely to happen soon though since AMD seems to be focusing all their resources on mantle at the moment. Mantle will also be a big deal since it will force Nvidia to push the for existing standards to match mantle. We'll all benefit in the long run. I can only imagine AMD's mantle will also have a year to itself before it's no longer the only game in town.

Frankly both of these "advancements" are only happening because AMD and Nvidia are pushing things monitor manufacturers and API developers should have already been doing. LCD manufacturers were content to just sell ever so slightly improved monitors and collect their margins, and Microsoft has been more concerned with their game consoles then pushing directx forward. However we are finally seeing movements forward, it can only be a good thing for everyone.
AMD Isn't focusing on mantle right now. They're focusing on CPUs and possibly chipsets, if we're lucky. AMD seems to alternate now; one year for CPUs, one year for GPUs, etc.

But I still wouldn't buy a G-Sync monitor. Extra pay for a gimmick that's going to be available to all in a year or so anyways. Not even too big of an improvement in image quality, unless you're doing something like playing DiRT, where screen tearing is like air, but even more plentiful.
Instead of "complaining" of Dolphin rendering 30 Hz games on 60 Hz mode, I would give eternal thanks to God for that thing happening.

For instance, not all Zelda games run at 30 FPS all the time. 30 Hz games are both rendered in 30 Hz and 60 Hz mode (30 FPS in gameplay, 60 FPS in cutscenes/cinematics). Same happens on some Mario games (PAL region specifically, using SMS and LM: 25/30 FPS in gameplay, 50 Hz in cutscenes/cinematics).

Don´t want image fragmentation/tearing? Don´t use V-Sync at all and save money by not buying that things.