Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Considering updating my HTPC for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

JustinAiken

Hello all,

My main rig is a mighty Hackintosh, an i7 overclocked with terabytes of space, a decent video card, and lots of RAM... but it looks like the Mac port is coming slowly...

So I'm considering upgrading my HTPC, which is in a smaller case with a E5200 and a m-atx motherboard, 2GB DDR2, and a lowly 8500GT...

If I bought something like a E8400, and nothing else, would it be enough to play Wii games smoothly and enjoyably? I have a 23" 1080p monitor, so it would either need to run 1080p, or some smaller equal ratio if it would still look good...

If it would take more than an E8400, it would probably just be cheaper to actually buy a Wii...

Or what about a Q6600? They're slower per core, and I couldn't OC it with my HTPC motherboard, but there's a used one around town for $100...
Can't you buy a new hard drive, connect it to the first rig, the install some 64 bit windows on it?
That's on the safe side, i doubt you want to risk your main hard drive with partitions and all, but it can be done that way...

also, in b4 fanboys.
1st of all , have you already tried dolphin on your HTPC ( just to make sure your e5200 is not good enough ) ? ^^

2 , maybe another mainboard that you can use to Oc your cpu ?(cheaper than a new cpu ^^)

(Finally , installing Mac os X on a pc is illegal , dont talk about it, here ^^)
(08-06-2009, 08:37 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ](Finally , installing Mac os X on a pc is illegal , dont talk about it, here ^^)

It is? I hate apple even more now...
You know ,they re all the same ( I mean those who make a business out of Os^^) , they are ok for professional use ( music , video montage ...) .

JustinAiken

(08-06-2009, 07:48 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you buy a new hard drive, connect it to the first rig, the install some 64 bit windows on it?
That's on the safe side, i doubt you want to risk your main hard drive with partitions and all, but it can be done that way...

also, in b4 fanboys.

I have WinXP on a HD here... but it's a pain to boot into... when I have time for games it's usually only ten minutes at a time, so waiting 4 for reboots would take the fun out...

(08-06-2009, 08:37 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]1st of all , have you already tried dolphin on your HTPC ( just to make sure your e5200 is not good enough ) ? ^^

lol, that probably is something I should do... I just assumed with the poor performance I get out of HL2 that the E5200 is not meant for games... It's a pretty small case, so I'm limited to m-atx mobo's...

Quote:(Finally , installing Mac os X on a pc is illegal , dont talk about it, here ^^)

I mean, my main rig is an overclocked legit MacPro Wink

cmccmc

(08-06-2009, 08:37 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]1st of all , have you already tried dolphin on your HTPC ( just to make sure your e5200 is not good enough ) ? ^^

2 , maybe another mainboard that you can use to Oc your cpu ?(cheaper than a new cpu ^^)

(Finally , installing Mac os X on a pc is illegal , dont talk about it, here ^^)
How is that illegal? You take a ligitaly bought mac OSX Disc and then use a boot loader to bypass the check for this one chip which I forget the name. How is it illegal to install your legitimately bought os
efi is the name. It is the replacement for bios that no one wants to adopt. Also, the e5200 would be just as good as an e8400 if you overclock it. Overclock everything! Just make sure you have a good air cooler like a mugen 2, a true or a xigmatek. I'm pretty sure you know how to overclock.
(08-06-2009, 09:19 AM)JustinAiken Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2009, 07:48 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you buy a new hard drive, connect it to the first rig, the install some 64 bit windows on it?

also, in b4 fanboys.

I have WinXP on a HD here... but it's a pain to boot into... when I have time for games it's usually only ten minutes at a time, so waiting 4 for reboots would take the fun out...

lol, that probably is something I should do... I just assumed with the poor performance I get out of HL2 that the E5200 is not meant for games... It's a pretty small case, so I'm limited to m-atx mobo's...

Quote:(Finally , installing Mac os X on a pc is illegal , dont talk about it, here ^^)

I mean, my main rig is an overclocked legit MacPro Wink

As far as i know , there are no i7 in any apple machine on the surface o f this planet !

Maybe you are just kidding , cauz if I had a Ferrari I would never call it a Honda civic !^^

cmccmc

u know u can replace the parts on the mac pro right
Pages: 1 2