Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pre-compiled Linux package
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running 64-bit Debian Wheezy. I just went through the process of compiling Dolphin again, and ran into a few problems. I got this error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lCg... I had to create a symbolic link (sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64) and install nvidia-cg-toolkit, which used to be listed as a dependency in the compilation instructions, but isn't there anymore. I also couldn't get portaudio to work, even though I have portaudio-dev installed. I've often wondered why there aren't pre-compiled versions available. I've created a .deb package before with checkinstall, and it was helpful for uninstalling Dolphin, but I doubt that the .deb would just install on any system, much less a different distro. I've also noticed that older Dolphin versions depend on old versions of packages that can't be installed.Would it be possible to create a executable file, bundled with all the necessary libraries to run on any system/distro? Blender is a good example of a program like this. You just download a tar.gz file, extract, and click on the executable to run the program. I've been using Linux for a few years now, but I don't even know what manual to start reading to figure out how to create such a package. Can someone point me in the right direction, or explain why something like this wouldn't work for Dolphin?
cg isn't any more for a long time, so you shouldn't need it. Did you use cmake to configure dolphin?

In fact, we mostly include all of the needed librarys in our repository, so a simple "git clone; cmake; make; make install" should be fine. If you care about compilation time, install wx3 globally, everything else doesn't matter.
I did use cmake. I followed the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Linux_Build. I am using the 3.5 release, so cg was removed after that? I did not install any of the "optional, if not found will be built statically" packages. I have installed them in the past, but I didn't notice the difference in compiling speed because I usually walk away and do something else while it's working. I'm not worried about how long it takes to compile. I want to create a folder with a Dolphin executable in it that includes all the dependencies it needs to run, even when it's copied to another computer with different hardware and a different distro. It may beyond my current abilities, but I could use some advice on where to start. I haven't had much luck searching.
artantaaa Wrote:I am using the 3.5 release, so cg was removed after that?

Nvidia-Cg has not been a requirement since the GLSL merge some time after 3.5 was released.

artantaa Wrote:I want to create a folder with a Dolphin executable in it that includes all the dependencies it needs to run, even when it's copied to another computer with different hardware and a different distro.

What you're referring to is called a static binary (or sometimes called a static executable). It should be possible to (though not easy?? idk) to get Dolphin to compile statically, but I've not tried this yet myself.
Shonumi Wrote:What you're referring to is called a static binary

Thanks for the search term. I found lots of info, and It doesn't look too easy to me. I've got a lot to learn about gcc/g++ and Dolphin to be able to do it. It would be nice to have such a package for Linux though, so I could have lots of different versions to play with at once, the way you can in Windows. I guess it works there because everyone has all the same dll's. If you do give it a try, please share your experience.