Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Removed DX9 and speed optimizations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Wesker1988

Hello Dolphin Dev Team,
I have a question about the optimizations you talked about, in the removing DX9 news.

I would be interested to know, how much the optimization will improve Dolphin speedwise.
Will it balance each other with the accuracy, or will Dolphin become faster at some point?

How
much is done in Dolphin in terms of the emulated graphics and accuracy?
How much you are able to emulate, which is still missing
after over 10 years of developement, which is quite some time. Did someone started on the speedwise optimizations yet?

So all in all, I would be really interested in a report of the status of the emu. :-)

Thx in advance and thx for all your effort!
(01-08-2014, 09:01 PM)Wesker1988 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Dolphin Dev Team,
I have a question about the optimizations you talked about, in the removing DX9 news.

I would be interested to know, how much the optimization will improve Dolphin speedwise.
Will it balance each other with the accuracy, or will Dolphin become faster at some point?

How
after over 10 years of developement, which is quite some time. Did someone started on the speedwise optimizations yet?

So all in all, I would be really interested in a report of the status of the emu. :-)

They aren't removing Direct X 9. Unless you have a source/link to back this up?
(01-09-2014, 03:40 AM)isamu Wrote: [ -> ]They aren't removing Direct X 9. Unless you have a source/link to back this up?

They already did remove it >.>
(01-09-2014, 03:40 AM)isamu Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2014, 09:01 PM)Wesker1988 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Dolphin Dev Team,

How

They aren't removing Direct X 9. Unless you have a source/link to back this up?
How was hibernation? DX9 as well as XP support has been gone for at least a month or more, Dolphin only supports D3D10/D3D11 and OpenGL now. There were threads created on the forum where developers went over the benefits of dropping support for DX9 and XP as it was holding back development. Then there was an unofficial DX9-Final build released and for a little while now newer builds are OGL/D3D11 only with Windows XP no longer supported.
wesker1988 Wrote:I would be interested to know, how much the optimization will improve Dolphin speedwise.

This is impossible to answer without time travel. We don't even know what optimizations might be added in the future, what fixes will be added, and how they might effect performance.

wesker1988 Wrote:How

I'm not sure that can be quantified.
Just to help you make an idea, O.P., here are some things that happened.
Accuracy: HLE audio code rewrite. That fixed lots of bugs.

Graphics: Vertex Streaming Hack, OpenGL GLSL shaders.

That´s all what is coming to my mind right now. xD
Uh D3d9 was removed at the end of September of '13, I believe.
woo...

"Then there was an unofficial DX9-Final build released"
rodolfo still maintain this "fork" as he backports some changes from master into our DX9-final branch: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/DX9-Final/

DJBarry004: all of your improvments was done before removing D3D9 Wink

neobrain did a lot of work for accuracy in the tev_fixes_new branch, but it isn't merged right now: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/tev_fixes_new/

But as I know, nobody started on the big performance optimizations. Sorry, I was too busy :-(

Wesker1988

No one ever have to be sorry for being busy! :-)

Thank you very much! So tev_fixes for accuracy were added
HLE audio code rewrite for accuracy.
and Vertex Streaming Hack, OpenGL GLSL shaders for graphics.

And there is no way to predict how much optimizations will help the performance until it's implemented,
or how much still need to be done, on the whole dolphin code at all?

thx, and sorry for all the thousand questions XD...
When will TEV_fixes_new be merged with master?
Pages: 1 2