Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Power Consumption of your System at Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Buddies,

I am interested in a new High-End HTPC (GameCube-Games in 60 FPS and Full HD) but i´m afraid of the high power consumption in IDLE-Mode and espescially in Dolphin-Games

So how high is your power consumption in IDLE and at Dolphin, please with your System-Informations!

Hope im right here.

Thanks.
Power usage of system plus 3 LCD displays (15", 19", 20"), speakers, phone chargers:
138W while idle
239W while playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 @ 1600x900, Auto IR

CORSAIR CX750M 750W (dat overkill)
MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
Intel® Core™ i5-4670K
EVGA "SuperClocked" GeForce GTX 770 2GB
G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
3TB 7200 RPM HDD
A minimal amount of system fans
How exactly do you plan to use this data Torres87?
I guess he just wants too see how much power a highend computer will use
(01-07-2014, 12:06 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I guess he just wants too see how much power a highend computer will use
THIS!

Everyone has different Computer-Parts and Configurations/Settigs but I wanted to know how low or high it will be about.

My main application would be XBMC (Live TV and watching/streaming Movies) but with the possibility to play GC-Games in Fullspeed (60FPS) and FULL HD.

50-60 W for watching TV/Movies in Full HD or the IDLE-Modus would be awesome. The Consumption at Gaming (Dolphin) is not the most important thing because i would only play 4-5 hours a week. But it would be a very nice Feature Cool

A high-end Video Card is the highest consumer in this case, right?
Torres87 Wrote:Everyone has different Computer-Parts and Configurations/Settigs but I wanted to know how low or high it will be about.

I suspected this was why you were asking but wanted to be sure. This is a really dumb way to gather information for that, no offense. That's why I asked.

Power consumption is dependent on what hardware you have and as such will vary from system to system. In the case of dolphin it could be as low as 20 watts for something like a netbook to as high as 500+ watts for a maxed out high end graphics card and cpu. On top of that the vast majority of people here do not run dolphin on an HTPC so you will get very little information about typical HTPC hardware. In order for this method of data collection to be useful to you someone else would have to have the exact same hardware that you plan to get.

Every hardware component you buy lists the maximum power consumption in the specs so calculating expected power consumption is actually fairly straightforward if you assume that the application is demanding and will tax specific components heavily.

If you give us a list of the hardware components I could give you a semi-accurate approximation of idle, load, and dolphin power consumption. Much better than anything you could approximate with data given by other users here.

Torres87 Wrote:A high-end Video Card is the highest consumer in this case, right?

Depends which graphics card (and how many) or IGP you have and which cpu you have. Typically either the cpu or gpu is the largest power hog. In a high end gaming rig it's usually the gpu.