Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: WindWaker FPS problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

n00bninja

So after going to play WindWaker, I noticed I had low frames while outside (around 20, usually dipped to 15) and inside I got 30. I then noticed my Dolphin was out of date (3.5) and went to get the newest version (4.0.2 x64) and it ran the same FPS, or so it says, because it felt like it was running at 5-10 FPS.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GTX 560
Processor - AMD Athlon II x2 215 ~2.7GHz
6GB RAM
Display - 1366x768 (32bit)(60Hz)

Changing the graphic options didn't help at all, and I already tried x86, still 20 FPS. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I just want to enjoy my game.
Your CPU is just too old and weak . There is nothing you can do about it unless you upgrade both mobo and CPU to sth decent like i3 4130 + H81 mobo
Overclocking can help but not so much since Athlon isn't good at overclocking

n00bninja

(01-06-2014, 03:28 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU is just too old and weak . There is nothing you can do about it unless you upgrade both mobo and CPU to sth decent like i3 4130 + H81 mobo
Overclocking can help but not so much since Athlon isn't good at overclocking
Yeah, I figured that would be the problem, both are integrated since I don't have the money to upgrade them. It saddens me but at least I can stop worrying over it, thanks for the help. I'll upgrade sooner or later and attack this game once again.
Thing to keep in mind : All latest AMD CPU have low single threaded performance compared to latest Intel CPU and Dolphin is a dual core application . Therefore , Dolphin dislike their CPU lol
Make sure you don't go for AMD route when you upgrade
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-is-it-good-enough

n00bninja

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!
(01-06-2014, 03:28 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Athlon isn't good at overclocking
>implying that my +1GHz OC on my Athlon II X2 220 is insignificant
>implying that people who have 4+ GHz on their Athlon IIs are genies

Athlon II is amazing at overclocking, I didn't even have to touch my voltage too much to get it at my current stable OC, and I could bring it higher if I wasn't afraid of exploding my power supply.
Having a good chip doesn't speak for anyone.
(01-06-2014, 11:06 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Having a good chip doesn't speak for anyone.
Still stands that the series is good for overclocking, even without an unlocked multiplier.
And even if you overclock it, the performance gain isn't that much.
Quote: Athlon II is amazing at overclocking, I didn't even have to touch my voltage too much to get it at my current stable OC, and I could bring it higher if I wasn't afraid of exploding my power supply.
I lol that
You're just a lucky guy that be able to get your hand on a very good chip . Most Athlon II users i know can't do that
Some guy are able to overclock i5 4670k @ 4.7GHz with 1.2Vcore (1.3GHz OCed) . Does that mean Intel i5 4670k is extremely good at overclocking ? No , not even close . Most people are only able to bump it up to 4.2GHz stable ( or 4.3-> 4.4GHz though i do not recommend to do that)
This is explained in the forum by @NaturalViolence . So i leave it to him if he bother to explain it to you
Pages: 1 2