Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can this run Metroid Trilogy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm so out of touch with computers right now that I'd like to ask in here.
First off, I read that the Metroid Trilogy is even slower than the gamecube Metroid games but I really want to play them with the wii controller, and want to play it perfectly with no microstutter and 1080p with antialiasing.

Intel i5 4670k
Radeon HD 7970 Ghz
4 gb RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

I have those except the i5, I still have my old dual core and before I make the big jump, could you also give me suggestions for a cool motherboard for overclocking (preferably one that comes with firewire)? I also want to run mario galaxy games with LLE and some other games.

If that i5 is not good enough, could you suggest other processors?
Yes it should work just fine with your setup.

Thats the best i5 you can get atm. Might require a light overclock of like 4ghz with the latest dev version. but u wont have any problems in latest stable 4.0.2 in stock i bet.

i run them perfectly with my 3570k @ 4.5. but haswell is alot stronger in emulation than my processor. so u could probably get away with stock turbo speeds.

if not and ur confident a light overclock of 4.0 would work great.

4.2 for galaxy.

as for motherboards a decent 120-150$ board is all you need.

you'll want a Z87 board.
Overclock that 4670K and it will run just fine. There literally is no better cpu than that for dolphin at the moment.

Modern motherboards do not come with firewire ports. Firewire has been dead for years. Why do you even need it? What devices could you possibly have that still use it and why haven't you replaced them by now?

If you need firewire you can just buy a pci-e x1 firewire card.

Almost any Z87 motherboard you find a newegg will be more than adequate for your needs. I personally like asrock boards but that's just personal preference. Get a cheap well rated Z87 motherboard from your brand of choice.
I need firewire for my audio interface that I use for recording music. They are still popular on audio stuff because the way they stream information is preffered as opposed to usb that it's streaming in packages, or something.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.p...&Go=Search

^ I own the saffire on third result. I have a regular PCI for it but it's dead and the computer stores in my town are not selling them anymore. Also my brother said to me that his LGA 1155 mobo came with firewire, I can't ask him which one he has cause he's out of the country for now and have no contact, but that doesn't matter. I'll probably have to order another pci from out of town and they'll charge me more.

...anyways. I didn't think that i5 would be that great for the emulator, considering there are way more expensive processors.

Thanks guys, very informative.
potate Wrote:...anyways. I didn't think that i5 would be that great for the emulator, considering there are way more expensive processors.

You ought not judge it by how many cores/threads it has or how expensive it is. Judge it by its single-threaded performance and its clock-rate.

According to our own benchmarks, the i5-4670K consistently dominates nearly every other processor at the same clocks when it comes to Dolphin. Have a look at the Wind Waker CPU Benchmark results. Even at 3.4GHz (stock), it's a top-tier performer. Once overclocked, it beats i5-2500Ks, i7-2600Ks, i5-3570Ks, and i7 3770Ks. The only CPU that matches it is the i7-4770K. Unless you need Hypterthreading and need to use highly multi-threaded applications (video editing, encryption, compression, etc) an i7 of the same microarchitecture (Haswell in this case) at the same frequency will not perform significantly faster than a comparable i5. Dolphin is a dual-core application primarily, and can at most use 3 threads to do the majority of its processing. That is to say, an i5 would be on a level playing field as an i7 (things like having a higher cache aren't significant factors to Dolphin performance.

Sure you could spend more money on a CPU, but an i5-4670K already performs as well as any consumer hardware will presently, as it concerns Dolphin at least. Trust us, we've been figuring out which CPUs are hot and which ones aren't for Dolphin for quite some time. Unlocked "K" i5s have been the go-to CPU ever since I came to these forums (I have a 2500K), and they've proven to be the best choice for numerous Dolphin users. The latest iteration (i5-4670K) will more than handle nearly anything you can throw at Dolphin.
Got it. I've read that about hyperthreading before and I won't make use of that.

I have another question. Let's say I end up overclocking that i5 to 4.2 ghz. Is my 525w coolermaster PSU enough to handle all the power?

My rig would be like this:

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 Ghz
Radeon HD 7970 Ghz
8 gb RAM in 3 RAM sticks
2 TB HDD
60 GB SSD
240 GB SSD
DVD/CD ROM
1 PCI card

The power calculators that I found say all of that should be about 440w but not taking into account I'm overclocking.
How come Haswell performs so much better than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin but the wikipedia page says it's only up to 6% faster in single-threaded apps than Ivy Bridge?
Most Cooler master PSU (non-OEM Seasonic PSU) are average in terms of quality and performance . Afaik , AMD 7970 load power consumption is 355W ,Your PSU won't cut it ( not even close )
I recommend an excelent PSU like this one :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817438007
Dolphin really likes whatever Intel did to increase the single-core IPC

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-haswell-dolphin
this thread, post #4 by NaturalViolence:
"Haswells IPC improvements are mostly for SSE/AVX code. Luckily dolphin does a lot of SSE work. I expect that it will likely receive a 10% IPC boost over ivy bridge in dolphin. "
Btw , here is some info about AMD 7970 power consumption :
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd...iew,8.html
Pages: 1 2