Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having trouble running games at 30fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ghostlyblood

Hey guys. I am not very smart when it comes to computer hardware so I am not sure if I am expecting to much from my computer. I am able to run pcsx games at x2 their native resolution with 60fps but I find myself having trouble maintaining 30fps on games like paper mario. If anyone can tell me if my specs are good enough to run dolphin games I would appreciate it thanks.

Specs~
Processor: AMD FX 8120 Eight core processor 3.10ghz
Ram: 8GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 series
Your cpu is going to struggle with some games. Especially if you don't overclock it. The microarchitectures used by the AMD FX line of cpus perform quite poorly with dolphin compared to modern Intel cpus.

ghostlyblood

(01-03-2014, 12:33 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Your cpu is going to struggle with some games. Especially if you don't overclock it. The microarchitectures used by the AMD FX line of cpus perform quite poorly with dolphin compared to modern Intel cpus.
I can overclock it to 4.1ghz will that help?
It will help but depending on the game it still may not run at fullspeed. Which paper mario game are you talking about?

ghostlyblood

(01-03-2014, 12:41 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]It will help but depending on the game it still may not run at fullspeed. Which paper mario game are you talking about?
Playing the thousand year door.
Specifically in any area with a lot of npc's. For example first entering rouge port or watching the crowds around the ring while getting the third star. While in battle the fps stays above 30 for most normal fights.
That's really strange, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is what I'd consider a very light game. I'm guessing this may be more along the lines of the 7xxx Radeon cards going into sleep than the processor being too slow.

I ran it single core on my core i5 760, for instance, so a modern FX in dualcore at 4.1 GHz should be more than enough for it.
(01-03-2014, 12:37 PM)ghostlyblood Wrote: [ -> ]I can overclock it to 4.1ghz will that help?

List the games you've been trying to play